Much improvement in this upgrade? mb 6,1 to mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dukebound85, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

For those that have been in this situation, I have a macbook 6,1 with a 2.26 core2duo and 8 gigs of ram.

Would the current 13inch mbp base model be a noticeable upgrade in day to day usage? Or are they relatively the same capability wise?

My usage largely consists of running matlab (for my purposes, ram hungary), some occasion video processing, but more or less used for watching media, research, and writing.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As most of your day-to-day use isn't CPU intensive, and you already had 8GB of RAM, I'd be surprised if you noticed much difference at all.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Fully agree with GJJstudios. In Matlab you might see some improvements, but nothing drastic. Video processing will see a speed-up. The rest will just be as usual.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have looked into it and I can get a BB trade in of 600 for my current machine. Is the upgrade worth the 500 dollars?

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If you want a new computer, yes, it's probably worth $500. I wouldn't buy a new laptop without SSD though. But that's just me.

6. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

Couldn't agree more. That's a good price for a new laptop especially a mac. It's all about what you want to do and if you have the money to spare. If your old MB works fine and you want to keep it, by all means, keep it.

But who doesn't like a nice new laptop? If you can wait for the new Ivy Bridge chips (or if you want to, I didn't) then do that.

We can't make up your mind for you but in my opinion $500 is a steal.

7. Cypther macrumors member

I went from a early 2008 Macbook Pro 2.5GHz 4GB 8600GT 512MB to the spec in my Signature. Everyday usages like browsing the web, email, wordprocessing, movies or listening to music, there wasn't much different.

But it was night and day using Aperture, Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS4, it was so much faster.