Much Worse Resale Value - MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cherishzm, Jun 20, 2012.

1. cherishzm macrumors regular

I'm so dissapointed at the current resale value of MBA's compared to MBP's released in the same year.

I always bought used MBP's at a great deal on CL and eBay and sold them after several months to a year of usage at about the same price or little less (again I said I bought them originally at a great price after a fair amount of searching and negotiating). However, the first MBA I bought earlier this year, 2011 MBA 13 i5 256GB Warranty till Jan 2013, already had its resale value dropped significantly. I paid $1,175 for it in March and it's worth only about $1,000-1,100 now. It's supply and demand in used MacBook market meaning there are a lot more people wanting MBP's than MBA's and obviously MBA owners like to upgrade their machine more often..

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Your MBA lost $75 in a year and you're complaining? :confused: You do realize that any other PC notebook would be worth a fraction of the original cost.

3. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

:eek: That's really good! Everybody knows that MBAs lose 1/4 their value as soon as you drive it off the lot.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell car owners; Resale value is moot, unless you plan to sell it. Tell me, are you planning to sell or do you just like complaining?

4. intervenient macrumors 6502a

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

6. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Were you expecting to sell a used computer for the same price as the day you bought it new?

:confused:

7. islanders macrumors 6502

You bought one a few months before 2012 update so of course it's going to drop a few hundred. A new 2012 8/128 is $1250 with a $100 apple card.

Sour grapes. You want a new Air every six months of course it's going to cost you.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apples can't always maintain high resale. Over time everything changes. Their are more macs on the used market than ever. And buyers are getting smarter.