Mucky Mouse

Discussion in 'iMac' started by forty2j, Jun 28, 2012.

1. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

When you buy the iMac at the :apple: store, do they let you swap out the mouse for the trackpad for free? Or is that option only available online?

2. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

I remember being in the apple store when I overheard someone changing thier mind in favour for the trackpad over the magic mouse. They will just get you a new iMac box with the new mouse in. But that is just if you don't setup in store :/

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Why or how would you set up the iMac in store? Bring in your old hard drive and ask them to do it for you? I'm assuming this would be if you paid for a one to one, not part of the standard set up?

Sorry to hijack the thread forty2j. You can defiantly go for either or with the mouse/tracker pad. You can even pay extra and have both.

4. iMikeT macrumors 68020

When I bought my BTO 2011 iMac last year online, I originally got it with the Magic Mouse but managed to get a Magic Trackpad for free.

I still use my Mighty Mouse (standard (wired) Apple Mouse) and only have the Magic Mouse on reserve, which seems like I may be forced to use it very soon due to the Mighty Mouse beginning to break down on me.

In all honesty, I rarely use the trackpad in addition to the mouse. I find that it isn't any more useful than having keyboard keys or the side buttons on my Mighty Mouse for shortcuts. And as a cursor, forget about it. I think the biggest problem with the Magic Trackpad as a cursor is the fact that it isn't 1:1 with what you see on the scree as opposed to an iOS device.

At best, my uses for the Magic Trackpad is page scrolling, swiping between adjacent spaces/desktops (it's completely useless when you have 9 spaces/desktops like I do and you're better off using ctrl+number (1,2,3,...), and pinch/spread zooming content.

All in all, if you all ready have a mouse, swap it for the trackpad for free online. If not, stick with the mouse.

5. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

I'm talking about when you buy it on store. You can always have it setup there, put the iMac back in the box knowing you have it ready for when you go home.

6. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

I don't think there will be any problem. When I bought my iMac last year I asked for a trackpad instead of a mouse, and the guy just opened up the box, removed the mouse and took a trackpad box off the shelf. I didn't even buy it at an Apple store [they don't have any in my country], it was just an Apple Premium Reseller. If you buy it at an Apple store they may even have a few imac boxes out back with the trackpads already in them.

As for the trackpads, I'm really happy with mine. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get used to not having a mouse [I plugged an old one in alongside it during this time], but after that I loved it and put away my old mouse.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You have the choice between a MM or Trackpad...As far as I know this has always been the case when buying a new Mac.

8. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

Ok, thanks. For some reason I thought all the boxes at the Apple Store would be stuffed with MM's, and I'd only be able to pay extra for the Trackpad.

I've used an MM (and its predecessor) long enough to know I want no parts of it.

9. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

yes, they'll swap it out no problem.