Multi-channel Sound for Toshiba Qosmio?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Apr 20, 2007.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

A buddy of mine recently employed me to find and install a multi-channel sound card in his laptop for him. The problem is, I don't know if I can find what he is looking (or if it even exists).

I'm terrible at searching for things, so I figured while I was surely failing in my attempts to locate the right part, maybe the MR crowd could help me a little?

He's going to call me back with the exact model which I'll post at that time, but it is a Toshiba Qosmio laptop (I'm guessing it's a G25-AV513 - 17", but I won't be sure 'til he calls me back) and he needs any multi-channel sound card for it. It can be new, used, whatever as long as it's not the standard basic card.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Also, I realize there are external models and PCMCIA cards for this, but he was hoping I could find something internal that would simply replace his current sound card.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... Okay, let me start with this:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Now then. :D

There is no detachable "sound card" in that computer... as far as I know. It's a chip on the motherboard. It's not like he can pull it out and replace it. PC Card and external are the only options if it doesn't do what he wants.

Does he want to....

1) Pass through sound to a multi-channel system he already owns

- If it doesn't already do optical out, and the system doesn't accept USB, then he's going to need some sort of USB or PC Card adapter....

2) Purchase 5.1 speakers for dedicated use with his notebook

- The best option here is to just get 5.1 speakers with a USB port.

3) Obtain multi-channel sound output through his existing internal speakers

- What on earth does this even mean? I'm just asking because people request stranger things... but if this is what he means, then he needs to understand that it is nonsensical.

4) Record multiple tracks (input) of audio

- Also not going to find anything "more" internal than a PC Card to do this.

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Good, now that we're on the same page... :D

He briefly explained what he wanted to do and it was very confusing (partially because I wasn't listening as closely as I probably should have been) but what I gathered is that he needs 1 input and 2 output audio channels and he only has 1 output channel now.

I'll get more info when he calls me back, but I told him when I talked to him the first time that most laptops don't have easily swappable parts like desktops do. Figured it was worth a shot, though.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We *are* on the same page! :D

If he needs the two output channels to be independent*pairs -- meaning he wants two stereo output channels or two digital outputs... I just don't see any way that's coming out of the innards of a notebook computer without external hardware. :(

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

........what?

:p ;)

I'm going to have to agree with you here. This was definitely my thinking as well, but I wasn't positive if there were any other options.

When I talk to him next, I'll tell him that I'd be happy to install any equipment he can find, but that I don't think he'll be able to accomplish what he's hoping for by swapping any internal parts.

Thanks for your input, mkrishnan. :)