Multi-display issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by david401, Oct 22, 2013.

1. david401 macrumors member

So I have an LG monitor hooked up to my mid 2013 680mx iMac and whenever I go to use the dock it takes awhile for it to come up. Or it doesn't come up until you start moving the mouse around. Once it does come up on screen 2 my iMac has the same issue pulling it back up on its screen. I have the dock on autohide like always but it also happens if you unhide it. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I think the dock is fuxored in Mavericks. The auto "move" features ONLY seems to work if you use the dock in the "bottom" position and then it seems you have to move the mouse to the very bottom of the screen. I think the oddities are just less noticeable with auto-hide on. It doesn't work for a "side" dock at all the side dock is now much more bright/opaque than it used to be (uglier IMO but then so it everything in Mavericks that looks like iOS7. I think Jonathan Ives should be fired for such ugly interface changes, especially in iOS). I don't care about "leather textures" and things like that, but things like the graphs and highlights in something like Activity Monitor are just harder to look at, somehow. They're too minimalist (like wire-frame versus a full 3D render). I preferred Mountain Lion's look, but I wanted the multi-monitor improvements in Mavericks and OpenGL 4.1 support so I have to put up with it all.

I don't know why they can't simply just offer two docks like they have two menu bars, at least as an option. That would solve everything, IMO. I prefer the side-dock so I get 100% of the vertical space usable for browsers, etc. With widescreen monitors, it's the vertical space that is in short supply, after all.

3. david401 thread starter macrumors member

I have the dock on the bottom. It just seems to take quite awhile for it to change to the other monitor. Sometimes I get lucky and it goes right away though. Not sure if this is a glitch or just what Mavericks does.

4. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I played with it here and you're right. It does seem to lag and/or not respond sometimes. I have to click on the desktop or move the mouse to dead center of the screen to get it to pop up when it does that. Other times it pops up immediately. I also found that if I don't have my screen "arrangement" directly side-by-side, it doesn't work AT ALL. I normally have my screens arranged diagonally because otherwise my "left" aligned dock ends up on the left monitor instead of the right one (on my desk the left monitor is to the left of me and the right one is centered in front of me and is the primary monitor so I want the dock on the left of that monitor and the only way to get it to do that is to NOT align the screens side-by-side. That makes it easier to not move the mouse off-screen accidentally when the left monitor is turned off (OSX doesn't seem to know that monitor is off or doesn't care; it'll start apps there anyway if that's where they last were).

Yeah, there's definitely some improvements Apple could make in regards to alignment and detection, etc. and/or preference settings. It should let you specify which monitor (or better yet, it should just give each monitor it's own dock and then LEFT or RIGHT would mean for each monitor OR you could define where it appears for every individual monitor like you can the backdrop pictures).

5. david401 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, i didn't notice that. Dead centre of the screen seems to do it. It's really gotta be exact though, and you seem to have to click the monitor as well. Hopefully this gets patched so there's a larger detection area.

6. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

It only needed the center "sometimes" here. It's kind of odd. But since I normally use the side position dock, it doesn't much matter. I don't get a dock on the other monitor no matter where I put the mouse.

I don't know how long this thing "optimizes" itself, but my Macbook Pro has been acting odd/slow with big CPU increases, etc. now for over an hour with varying oddities in the GUI during that time. My Mac Mini seems mostly smooth, but I do get the odd unexplainable "busy" spinning wheel of death for a fraction of a second every so often for unknown reasons (never happened in Mountain Lion). Maybe I should have waited for the first service update or something. :D

Mavericks was also kind enough to replace my 10.6.3 version of iTunes (that had Cover Flow still that I like for the Movies display) with a newer version (not the latest, though oddly enough; I still had to update that again later) that does NOT have cover flow.

7. Km133 macrumors member

Having the same issues. Why not just allow a dock on both screens!?

NB. I think the lag depends on your set up.

I have a brand new Asus monitor at home, with HDMI connectivity. The lag was very short using this monitor. However I'm in the office this morning using a VGA cable to a ~2yr old HP monitor and it's taking around 3-4 secs for the dock to appear.

8. kave macrumors regular

This is strange. I have been using the developer versions and now the final GM.
    I get very strange behaviors from the dock.
    Usually it won't move at all, even though it is placed at the bottom.
    I deleted the Dock prefs files and rebooted but no difference.