Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naramis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2013
As soon as I updated my iPad Air to iOS 8 yesterday I noticed that the gesture to go back to the home screen (five fingers closing) wasn't working. I went to Settings and it was turned on; I turned it off then back on again, and it seemed to resume working.
Today when I woke up it wasn't working anymore. At settings, it was still on; I left it alone this time. Later in the day when I tried it, it was working again without me changing anything.
Has anyone else experienced weird behaviour with this gesture in iOS 8?

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
THE same for me on safari.... IPad Air...
Sometimes work sometimes not... Also the new tab button make its own! Ahahah:D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Same issue here on my iPad Air. And going FORWARD a page in Safari (by swiping in from the right edge) is still flakey and doesn't work properly.

EVL44

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
NSW Australia
Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

The 5 finger gesture didn't seem to work at first, then I re-booted my iPad Air after which it did work. Just a few minutes ago it stopped working again but has suddenly started to work just as I'm typing this comment. Very weird! Similarly for the 5 finger sideways gesture to access another open app. Teething problems perhaps? Otherwise I'm happy with the update which incidentally took 90 minutes on my 32gb iPad Air.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I've had it fail a couple of times. Each time, I used the home button to close out..I went back into the same app and the gestures were working again. Something is definitely broken with this.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Yes!

I occasionally get stuck in safari, cannot get out with gestures as they don't work, only zoom the screen. I have to double click the home button to exit.

flasser

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Multi finger gesters ios8

After IOS 8 download, I am also having a problem using the 5 finger gesture to close an app. Anyone else?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
After IOS 8 download, I am also having a problem using the 5 finger gesture to close an app. Anyone else?

I haven't seen this issue since updating to 8.02. Not saying that update has fixed it, just I haven't experienced it since. Which version are you on?

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Same issue with ipad air on ios 8.0.2. Toggling the multi-finger gesture in settings fixes the issue but it comes back within a day or two. It happens in almost any app.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
8.0.2 seems to have fixed/made better the gestures in Safari. I can use 5 fingers to close Safari instead of it just bringing up the tabs

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
Yeah, I had these issues until I updated to 8.0.2 and then toggled gestures off and back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.