Multi install 10.5 single user license.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paulobrad, Sep 23, 2008.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I've recently bought a 2nd hand mac mini with OS 10.4 on it and I own a single user license for 10.5. It looks like it's not possible for me to simply upgrade my 10.5 to a family license. From a legal point of view it would be clearly not be within the license for me to install this copy of 10.5 on the mini, from a technical point of view what are the limitations? Is there functionality that stops working (eg mobile me)?

Clearly the right thing for me to do would be to buy a new copy of 10.5 but I'm interested to know what restrictions Apple can impose.

2. acxz macrumors regular

There isn't much Apple can do in the way of restrictions since it has no validation system in place; there are no serial numbers, CD Keys, etc, nor are there any tools Apple can run remotely to reduce the functionality of the OS. Apple licenses OS X on an honourary system where it 'trusts' you to do the 'right' thing rather than constantly hassle you about it as Microsoft does with Windows.