Multi-Mac Airport interfering with each other?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EvanAgee, Mar 2, 2008.

1. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

I've had a multi-Mac setup including a PowerMac G5 and a MacBook Pro for the last year. The setup involves an Airport Extreme Base Station with the PowerMac connecting via an ethernet cable and the MBP connecting via Airport.

I recent purchased an Airport Express so I could print wirelessly to my printer. I ended up having to turn on Airport on my PowerMac in order to get my computer to recognize the Airport Express. Which brings me to my problem.

Whenever I have Airport enabled on my PowerMac I can barely get a signal on my MBP from 20 feet away. I believe that the Airport in my PowerMac is causing interference in the MBP's airport.

So I have two questions:

1. Does this seem likely and if so what can I do to fix it.

2. Is there a way to get my computer to detect the Airport Express without turning on Airport on my PowerMac? Can't I get the Airport Extreme Base Station to recognize the Airport Express and therefore make the printer available to all machines connected to the base station?

I appreciate your help!

2. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

I have 3 Airport Extreme's at home, and 3 Airport Express's.

Camp Pendelton is 5 miles away.

To that Airport network, 5 Mac's connect, 2 are Powerbooks, the other 3 are Mac Intel's, and 3 PC's also connect, I have no interference.

I only have 1 network.

If you only have 1 network, then something else is interfering, Apple has a checklist of possible interfering devices, check Apple Support.

To trouble shoot disconnect all wireless products including your microwave, and test reception on your Airport Network, if it's improved, then reconnect your other devices until you find the interfering one.

If you still have a problem I would think it would be a bumb airport card in the PowerMac.