Multi-Mac networking issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sdcam2006, Dec 3, 2008.

1. sdcam2006 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

For my home network I have an airport express. This works great for our needs, except for one.

I use EyeTV/elgato tuner/powerbook as my DVR/home media center. I recently set up a second "hub" using a Powermac in another room. With EyeTV there is the option to share your video library with other computers on the network. However, the video files are just too large to stream over the wireless network in real time, and the movies are horribly jumpy. In addition, my powermac's airport card died so I no longer have the option of using wireless for it.

I want to keep the wireless network as it is, but hardwire the MacPro to the Powerbook (with I assume an ethernet cable). Also, it seems to me that both machines need to join the current (wireless) network such that I am able to share between them on EyeTV.

So my questions are:First, is it possible to just run an ethernet cable between the two machines to share data without any further setup? Second, if that is possible, will the powermac then be able to join the home 'wireless' network? If not, can the powerbook simultaneously be on the wireless network and on a ethernet network with the powermac?

Thanks so much for helping a noob,

Cameron

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

1. There would be a bit of setup involved...

2. You can share your internet over the ethernet port

3. I'm not sure if you can share internet and still share data at the same time.