multi mac setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dubist, Oct 24, 2011.

1. dubist, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011

dubist macrumors newbie

hello Macrumors.com
    we have
    2003 macpro tower running 10.4.11
    2008 17" macbookpro running lion
    2010 airpot extreme
    2011 13" macbook air
    2011 thunderbolt display.
    2011 iphone 4s
    2011 3tb g drive
    2011 magic mouse

we do have a bunch of gadgets but i am not the most tech savvy person
    What are my options to network my computers for the home.
    I work from home mostly on the macbookair.
    I do art and music and movie projects on the 17" macbook pro.
    Right now I have the 2003 macpro as a media center downloading movies and music and we watch it off this computer.

I have opened the file sharing option on the computer with the movies so the other computers can watch but not sure if this is the best option.

my question are
    What options are there for connecting multiple devices?

If I have all my music on one computer how do play the music using my other iTunes?

Can I listen to my music in iTunes if its on a external hard drive?

If I am in my home office do I need to use iCloud to sync my calendars and contacts?

Is there a way to have my magic mouse run my macbook air and my mac book pro??

is there a way to plug my 17" 2008 macbook pro into the thunderbolt display

So many options not quite sure how to set up the network?

Thank you much for taking the time
    David

----------

anyone? will i ever gert any input?

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

You could use home sharing from iTunes ... Or use a network share to the other Mac.

No problem; I have my music and movies actually on a network storage and just use a share for the media files; iTunes is regular locally installed but got in the preferences the shared location for the media files. The iTunes library itself still stay on my iMac. The same share could be used in the same way with my MBA.

That's what I use and quite happy with; others use Google for sync calendar, with Google as Exchange server.

Not sure on that but assume not, as Bluetooth is mainly peer-to-peer and require pairing.

Don't know ...

The easiest way would be to have an Internet router which contain a DCHP router which would you provide the required IP addresses automatically; what are you using here.

I'm right now not at my Mac to make some snapshots but let me know if you need more help ...

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

To use Magic Mouse and Keyboard across multiple machines get Teleport.

You install it on each machine, then open it preferences, and you need to initially allow each machine to let the mouse cross over. When you cross over, you can use the mouse on any machine, and the keyboard as well. You can also drag and drop files between them (though this part only works sporadically for me).

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Interessting; could be helpful for me actually; thanks for the tip