Multi monitor/gfx advice sought

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AdvocateUK, Jun 25, 2008.

1. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Hi all,

Having bought a 30inch ACD a couple of weeks ago my 23inch was initially relegated to the cupboard to sit in its box until such a time as I could be bothered to get around to sell it.

Last night I decided to ply around with a dual monitor setup. I initially tried to sit the monitors side by side on my desk but very quickly realised that wasn't going to work for me. They took up way too much space on my desk, and it meant the 30inch ACD was no longer central to my eye. Then I hit on the idea of standing the 23inch ACD on its side. This works great! So much so that I'm thinking of buying another 23inch ACD to go on the other side of the 30inch

Currently both monitors are connected to the ATi X1900XT in the MP but I was wondering if I may get better performance by putting the nVidia 7300 that came with the MP back in just for the 23inch ACD.

What do you think?

TIA

Alistair

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Unless you do a lot of gaming, it doesn't make any sense to use two cards for two monitors - your x1900 XT is fast enough to run both displays very well by itself.

3. iTronz macrumors member

As said above you won't see a performance increase using two graphics cards, the only time you would need more than one graphics card is if you ever have more than two monitors.