multi-partitioning HD for windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jetwilson, Jun 19, 2009.

1. jetwilson macrumors newbie

Hi

What I have set up at the moment on my macbook is a single partition. One for my mac and a 20GB one for windows XP.

What I want to do is create a new partition (by taking space out of the mac side) to create a new drive that my current windows partition can see (as I understand you cant make an existing partition bigger so that would be my solution) This is just for the existing windows drive to store files on.

Is that possible and would the current windows disk see the new drive?

I just need it to because I have run out of room on the windows side. I am running more programs than I thought I would need to!

Thanks

Jet

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm not familiar with boot camp, so I don't know if it has the ability to partition without formatting or erasing data.

With that said, you could try to back everything up, and do a clean wipe of the internal HDD, then partition it with more space on the windows side, and re-install everything.

At least then you'll have a better setup, more space to run what you need on windows, and it may even speed up your mac a bit (sometimes they too need a good clean install).

As for the original method, again I'm not sure if it's possible to just partition free space on your mac side and turn it into FAT32 or NTFS for windows without having to format or lose the entire partition on the mac side or both sides.

Also, I'm not sure if windows would be able to run programs installed on another partition. I thought they needed to be in "Program Files" on the C:\ drive, but I could be wrong.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Just use disk utility and select your drive. Then go over to the partition tab and select your mac osx boot drive. Then push the plus button in the bottom left corner and create the new partition and specify how big you want it to be. You are going to have to format the drive in FAT format so the windows system can see the drive. If you want to have the ability to transfer single files over 4GB then you need to format it as NTFS. Which has to be done on the windows side I believe without ntfs-3g.

Note: If you format the drive as NTFS you will not be able to write files to the drive from OSX unless you have ntfs-3g