Multi port Adapter Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by inmnbob, Jun 26, 2015.

1. inmnbob macrumors member

I got my new 1.3 MacBook yesterday and everything worked well by restoring it from the time capsule via Ethernet. To accomplish this I purchased the Multiport adapter which worked well to power my device and connect the Ethernet cable.

I ran into a problem however when I tried to connect my USB SSD. It didn't work with the Multiport but did work with another USB A to C adapter. Thoughts? Is it a bad Multiport or a limitation?

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I`ve had no problems with the Multiport adaptor with USB 3.0 drives (HD). Have you tried any other drives?

Q-6

3. inmnbob thread starter macrumors member

I found that if the adapter is plugged into the computer and then I try to plug in the drive the drive isn't recognized but does get power. If I connect the drive to the adapter first and then plug the adapter into the rMB then the drive is recognized.

4. Dayv macrumors 6502

Interesting. Maybe it makes a determination when the adapter is connected as to how much power to divert to it?

5. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I've plugged in a 2.5" external (platter) drive into the multiport adapter and it worked as expected. I don't have any USB-C cables to try anything else with, but I know it supplies enough power for this drive.