Multi-port External Hard Drive Enclosures

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMikeT, Jun 18, 2011.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'm looking to buy an external enclosure that supports FireWire 800/400 and USB 2.0. I will be connecting this to my Mac over FireWire 800.

Now, I have a bunch of FireWire 400 and other USB devices. If I were to connect the FireWire 400 or USB devices to the enclosure, as a hub for example, will everything work just fine or will there issues with the enclosure talking to a FireWire 800 connection on one end and FireWire 400/USB on the other?

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Forget about the USB part, it doesn't work that way at all. As for the FW400 devices, they should daisy-chain nicely.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I've got the Lacie Quadra Design, which is quite nice, and comes with USB, eSata, FW400 and FW800. Nice design also, and it is quiet.

4. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I wasn't really planning on using the USB port on the external enclosure, I was just being fair and balanced to an inferior I/O.

My only concern is daisy chaining FireWire 800 on one end and FireWire 400 on the other off the same device. I'm thinking why did I bother asking now as I could get a 9/6 pin FireWire cable and no have anything to worry about. :eek: