Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soheagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
has anyone also noticed that you can multi-room music playing the same song if you play off the Mac.. select output.. checkbox homepod, and Apple TV if you have it. I can go to different rooms and hear the same song playing. How is this different from future software release for AirPlay 2?

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
has anyone also noticed that you can multi-room music playing the same song if you play off the Mac.. select output.. checkbox homepod, and Apple TV if you have it. I can go to different rooms and hear the same song playing. How is this different from future software release for AirPlay 2?

You’ve been able to do this on a Mac for about 4/5 years but not on an iOS device which is where I believe Airplay 2 comes in.

soheagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense. Just seems odd that if the technology has already been figured out, why can’t airplay2 be launched now.

christsay

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
Yes this is possible, but with AP1 the music is not in sync. Close but not exactly. AP2 is supposed to solve this.

With AP1 and an Airport Express in the back of the house and a HomePod in front things were to my ears in sync as I walked between the zones. Much better than the noticeable delay that my Airplay -> Apple TV -> Yamaha Soundbar setup has.

Also great is that pausing on the HomePod via 'Hey Siri' or tapping the middle of the display pauses music in the whole house. Volume management from the "now playing on HomePod" or the +/- controls didn't work well, volume management through "Hey Siri" did.

-chris

Reactions: jjjjjooooo

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
AirPlay 2 will allow the HomePod to send audio to another HomePod/AP2 receiver such that you can hear it in two rooms at the same time, or the much touted 'stereo' feature, whereby two HomePods work together in a room, calibrating based on their actual locations within the room.

AP2 will allow iOS and tvOS devices to also stream audio to multiple destinations, and have speakers recognised by Siri/HomeKit so that you can say "Hey Siri, play <your choice here> in the kitchen and the lounge."

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
You’ve been able to do this on a Mac for about 4/5 years but not on an iOS device which is where I believe Airplay 2 comes in.
Airtunes introduced this feature way back in 2004 in fact, and it was updated to be 'Airplay' in 2010.
[doublepost=1518552573][/doublepost]
Yes this is possible, but with AP1 the music is not in sync. Close but not exactly. AP2 is supposed to solve this.
Thank you for posting this. I have four AP1 devices which sync perfectly, but my HomePod lags very slightly (just enough to sound wrong). I already reported the issue to Apple. Out of interest, where did you read/hear that AP2 will solve it?

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I wonder if they will be able to fix it for AirPlay use too. Assuming that the Airport Express won't be updated to AP2 I would still like to use Airplay in iTunes for multiroom sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.