multi slot as card reader

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by faxoli, Mar 7, 2012.

1. faxoli macrumors newbie

Hey guys me and my partner are making videos with 3 canon cameras so I want to speed up our import time with a multi card reader for AS.

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/elecom-mr-c27-sd-card-reader.html

Is what I need but don't want to order from Japan

Any suggestions

Check out our bids
    YouTube.com/deadsilencefilm

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

will not work

this will be limited by the speeds of the USB hub and will not work. If you can find a firewire version, you will have better luck.

3. faxoli thread starter macrumors newbie

Arent cards lmited to 20mbs any way? so 20x4=80 of the usbs 480mbs am i Wrong? I am using a macbook so firewire will work

4. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

again, those are always "theoretical" speeds.

for that price, I would go firewire. There's a reason that HDV tapes use FW.

5. hchung macrumors 6502a

No. You're confusing megabytes and megabits.

1 byte = 8 bits.

Plus, you're mixing theoretical and real-world numbers.

USB is 480megabits/sec (mbs) in theory. That's 60Megabytes/sec (MB/sec) in theory. USB is about 25 Megabytes/sec in practice.

Firewire is 400megabits/sec and 50Megabytes/sec in theory. But in practice, around 35MB/sec.

(Yes, for actually doing work, Firewire is faster than USB2. Though, I don't think I've actually seen a firewire SD card reader. So that might not be an option.)

Your SD cards have a maximum of about 22 MB/s unless you have the weird Sandisk Extreme IIIs with the 30MB/s read speed... which also only work if you have a special reader since that's not standard.

So with 1 USB port (25MB/s), you'll be able to handle 1 card. (22MB/s)

What I haven't tried, is importing from 2 cards at the same time from 2 ports. That might be your best bet.

Finally, one other thing to find out is if your reader is no good. Many of the early USB2 readers didn't function at full speed. So finding a good reader might increase your import speed.

6. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

7. faxoli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys I guess I'll just use the built in reader and a couple of USB readers on different Ports

8. hchung macrumors 6502a

Sorry to break it to you but that one doesn't actually use the SATA connection for the memory cards. If you look carefully at the cable picture, you'll see the 10 pin IDC connector for the internal USB port on PC boards.

The SATA part is just for the eSATA port. It's separate from the card stuff.

There are several people selling SATA to SD card "drives" on ebay too. While initially those sound like a great idea, I looked up the datasheets a while back and found out many of them are so old they don't support SDHC. So watch out for those too.

9. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

good eye! good call.