Multi tasking - apps open at same time

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sseguin, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Sseguin macrumors regular

Let's say I open safari and hit the home button and open facebook and hit home and open my email these programs seem to remain open. How do I ensure I don't have multiple apps running in the background?

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Third party apps don't stay open on the iphone. Apple doesn't allow that. So that's how you can be sure :)

3. Sseguin thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. How about the original apps? They stay open? I guess they don't use that much memory?

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

iPod,Safari,Mail and Phone are the only one that can stay open on stock firmware (not jailbroken). Safari is the most memory intensive one of the 4 though.

5. jason221 macrumors 6502

To force-quit any app to ensure it doesn't stay running, hold the power button until the slider comes up and then hold the home button until you're put back on the home screen.

6. lith-ium macrumors newbie

you can use backgrounder from cydia. it doesnt quit your apps, but hides it in the background. when you want to open it again, it remains the same as when you closede it. :D

7. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Never heard of that. Sounds pointless.

To force-quit any app as standard just hold down the home button while you're in the app you want to quit. It will close itself after a few seconds and wont be running in the background.

Alternatively, if you're jailbroken there are a number of third party apps that can show you what's running in the background and quit them too.
    Kirikae and MemInfo are 2 I know of and use on a regular basis. (Both available from Cydia)

8. throwbookatface macrumors member

The method using the home button alone is for older iPhones. Newer ones/newer OS upgrades will activate the Apple voice search instead of force-quitting. The method described is the new way to do what you had described.

9. Sseguin thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. So what is the new method exactly to close an app with the newer iPhones?

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What he wrote: