Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
There's a scrolling stock widget, we need a widget with running apps so we can avoid home button bashing (the part of the phone most likely to fail after protracted use).

Bring down notification centre, scroll through apps, switch app. :)

I understand there's something similar with a jailbreak, but I'm sure Apple would do it better.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
I'd be content with a simple up-swipe to reveal the current multi task tray. Perhaps an option in the settings that lets us switch between double click or up-swipe.

The home button should interface-wise be constrained to single clicks or holds (such as for Siri), imo. Currently it travels slightly too deep for a comfortable double click.

That, or a new app switching interface for the iPhone. Something similar to the swipes on the iPad would be nice, though I'm not sure the screen is large enough for those kind of gestures. Anything more than two-finger swipes feels a bit congested and clunky (and I have quite small hands).

With the evolution of the touch interface, the current double-click actually feels disruptive to me. YMMV, of course.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
There's a scrolling stock widget, we need a widget with running apps so we can avoid home button bashing (the part of the phone most likely to fail after protracted use).

Bring down notification centre, scroll through apps, switch app. :)

I understand there's something similar with a jailbreak, but I'm sure Apple would do it better.

In my opinion, I'd prefer to be able to swipe up from the bottom of the phone to reveal the multitasking dock.

EDIT: Oops, didn't read blipmusic's post right above mine with the same suggestion.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The fact that Apple actually calls it a 'weather widget' in the system preferences leads me to believe they'll eventually open up widgets as an option to all 3rd party app developers.

Otherwise they would have called it 'weather notifications' and wouldn't have made up the word 'widget' for just stocks and weather.

Knowing Apple, though, this will probably be an iOS 6 feature. I sure wish it'll be a 5.1 feature, though.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I'd be content with a simple up-swipe to reveal the current multi task tray. Perhaps an option in the settings that lets us switch between double click or up-swipe.

The home button should interface-wise be constrained to single clicks or holds (such as for Siri), imo. Currently it travels slightly too deep for a comfortable double click.

That, or a new app switching interface for the iPhone. Something similar to the swipes on the iPad would be nice, though I'm not sure the screen is large enough for those kind of gestures. Anything more than two-finger swipes feels a bit congested and clunky (and I have quite small hands).

With the evolution of the touch interface, the current double-click actually feels disruptive to me. YMMV, of course.

only problem with swiping up is if your playing a game, you might just slide it up.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I've wanted this since they first announced the Notification Center. Plus, quick-acess settings to toggle Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
only problem with swiping up is if your playing a game, you might just slide it up.

That's true. It already happens with the notification tray's "tab/grip" peeping out every now and then by accident when I'm in a game. Having gestures on both sides might be frustrating.

Still, I'd like to see a gesture to reveal the app tray on the iPhone (or some kind of gesture based app switching) as I hate the double click in its current implementation. It just doesn't feel cohesive with the rest of the interface. For a function that can be quite central in many user scenarios there should be a better way than to constantly mash the home button, even on the iPhone.

Anyway, I'd be ok with a setting that altered between double-click and up-swipe to one's liking.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I've wanted this since they first announced the Notification Center. Plus, quick-acess settings to toggle Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.
If you have a non-4S and you jailbreak you can do all that and a lot more ;) :D . Doubt Apple will implement some of these features, they would have beforehand since they easily could have put a wifi toggle etc in... I think we'll be lucky if iOS 6 does even some of that.

JB and use SBsettings and you can really customize the notification center to your hearts content even on the lock screen. You can even choose the normal SBS setup, or have it integrate with the new notification center which it does extremely well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.