Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spgiva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
While I anxiously await my iPad 2 (shipping in early april, *sigh*) I thought I would get a couple of questions answered in preperation. I have used my fiancée's original ipad some, but this will be my first personal iPad.

1) can you use the GPS (in the 3G models) if you do not have an active (ie paid) data plan? I am getting a 3G model, but do not expect to have a data plan active at all times, I just wanted to be able to have a data plan option for vacations and such.

2) With multitasking apps, is there a way to quit out of an app (so it is not available in the multitask menu) if you know you are done with it, or does the OS make those decisions?

Thanks for any help provided
-spg
:D

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
1) can you use the GPS (in the 3G models) if you do not have an active (ie paid) data plan? I am getting a 3G model, but do not expect to have a data plan active at all times, I just wanted to be able to have a data plan option for vacations and such.

That is my question as well. I keep getting different answers from Verzion and Best Buy.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I don't own a 3G iPad but I'm pretty certain that the GPS does work without a data plan. That certainly was what Apple's support page was saying. However it might take longer to get an initial fix on your position because it wouldn't have the cell network assisting the satellites. You would also have to find an alternative App to use the GPS because the built-in Maps Apps relies on 3G to download it's data from Google.

It's normally easier to let the OS quit Apps when it feels like. I leave the OS to it on my iPad 1 and I rarely see any problems with that approach. However if you do want to manually quit Apps there is a way. Double-click the home button to bring up the multitasking bar, press and hold on an App icon until it jiggles and then tap the red stop sign that appears.

Fireworld

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2011
While I anxiously await my iPad 2 (shipping in early april, *sigh*) I thought I would get a couple of questions answered in preperation. I have used my fiancée's original ipad some, but this will be my first personal iPad.

2) With multitasking apps, is there a way to quit out of an app (so it is not available in the multitask menu) if you know you are done with it, or does the OS make those decisions?

Thanks for any help provided
-spg

I have the 3G at&t model and the GPS works just fine without a data plan. Not sure if it would work over seas though. I do have a sim inserted but it's not activated. I'll remove the sim and see if I still have GPS functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.