Multi-Tasking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Noumenon, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Noumenon macrumors regular

I'm sure this has been posted before, but, does anyone agree that it's a bit clumsy how multitasking is handled? I mean you have to manually close each app that you don't want running in the background.

Wouldn't it make more [sense] to be able to choose which apps will multitask and which will not, say in settings with a maker next to each app or something?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

No, only because there's no point in closing the Apps. They're not doing anything, so why close them?

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Yeap. You can get the Remove Background toggle switch for SBSettings. You hit the switch and it closes all the APPS in the task bar.. Works quite well.

That's only if your jailbroken and have SBSettings installed..

4. shandyman Suspended

it's not running the app in the backgorund as such, so no need to close it. it will only run a couple of API's if it's set to, like pandora, last.fm, tomtom, stuff like that. simple as.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

The whole point of Apple's implementation of "multitasking" is that you don't have to manually manage anything other than the few special cases (GPS, audio, voip). Basically no other apps run in the background.

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

They're not actually running in the background.

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

It works well in theory and 99% of the time it works well in real life too.

But I have an example where it was frustrating, I recently bought the TinyGrab app and played with while my phone was charging, when it was done charging I unplugged and after a while unlocked my phone and noticed the battery had run down to 95% while just laying there for itself, turned out TinyGrab somehow was actually running in the background and using my battery extensively.

8. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

They probably take advantage of the 10 min in the background API. Any app can do stuff in the background for no longer than 10 min if they use the API.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It makes sense to learn how the task bar works.

10. fishmoose macrumors 68000

It must have been then, had no idea there was such an API.

11. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yea, it's suppose to be used for uploading or downloading in the background. Apple called it task completion, but some developers have found ways to use it to keep their app fully running. I'm sure Apple will update the license agreement to prevent this in the future.

12. Noumenon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I thought it was multitasking. Not even email?

13. Noumenon thread starter macrumors regular

??? What do you mean?

14. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

All of Apple's apps can run in the background. 3rd party apps run in the background if they:
    1) play audio
    2) do gps
    3) do voip
    4) task completion (finish downloading/uploading in the background)

Unless a 3rd party app does at least one of those things, its not running in the background.