Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Geez. Layoff guys, stop telling the lady how to live. Mind your own GD business.

But yea, you might want to try using the sides of your finger if you can. Or possibly the first knuckle.

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
Geez. Layoff guys, stop telling the lady how to live. Mind your own GD business.

But yea, you might want to try using the sides of your finger if you can. Or possibly the first knuckle.

Thanks for your support!

I'm eager to try one on Friday to see how it goes. I'm sick and tired of the problems with my MDA and am ready for something that works with hopefully a little more reliability. So, I'll try my nail tip, the pad of my finger, side of my finger, knuckle, whatever it takes at this point (except cutting my nails off). :D

If none of that works, I'll just have to lobby Apple to make this a consideration for version 2.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I have pretty long nails and I'm good at using touch-screen things. While it chips my nailpolish like no other, I find that I'm better at touch-screen with nails than just with the pads of my fingers.

While the technology of multi-touch may be completely different than my little GPS in the car. Guess we'll have to wait until june 29 :)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I have pretty long nails and I'm good at using touch-screen things. While it chips my nailpolish like no other, I find that I'm better at touch-screen with nails than just with the pads of my fingers.

While the technology of multi-touch may be completely different than my little GPS in the car. Guess we'll have to wait until june 29 :)

i think the technology behind the touch recognition of the iphone is similar to that used in trackpads. if you can use your finger nails on your macbook (pro)/powerbook/ibook, then i think you should be fine. otherwise, :confused:

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US

This is what makes multi-touch different. It has a more accurate recognition and requires skin. Trust me, it reads the static charge from your finger. You will not be able to use your nail.

kdarling

macrumors P6

You're absolutely correct on both counts.

Thanks, I had forgotten about using the knuckle. It was a very common habit for both developers and testers to go up to a touchscreen and tap it with our knuckles, because of occasional problems with nails or calloused fingertips.

As a side comment, I really don't understand why Apple went with this technology. Okay, the screen's a little brighter.

But it costs more, and you lose the chance of ever being a true field or tech device, since you lose the ability to do fine drawing / selections, and to accept a signature. You lose the ability to use nails, stylii, and other objects when you feel like it.

And of course, the glove thing. And yes, with nice leather gloves I have no problem with other smart phones. On the iPhone with its large onscreen buttons, there would've been even less of a problem... and would've made a nice selling point. SIgh. This is what happens when a device is designed in California! ;)

Kev

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
don't listen to these guys, you don't have to cut your nails. all you need is to hire a man servant and be like " Now charles, open the ipod I want to listen to some U2... FLICK FASTER!!!"

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
So, I'll try my nail tip, the pad of my finger, side of my finger, knuckle, whatever it takes at this point (except cutting my nails off). :D
Maybe I'm just not comprehending how long your fingernails are, but is there no way you can use the pad of your finger? 2-4mm isn't that long and the nail wouldn't get in the way...I have too-short fingernails and I never use the tip of my finger to do anything...

my PDA works with both a stylus and fingers and I never seem to do anything with the tip, which is the only thing i would imagine would be an issue if you had long fingernails.

Shelly, I'd recommend you practice tapping with the pads of your fingers on flat surfaces, and seeing if the length of your nails is still obstrusive or uncomfortable. That's going to be your best bet. Instead of using your finger tip, you could angle your hand so that the sides of your index finger are pointing north and south of the screen instead.

Also worth noting, you can knuckle your index/trigger finger as if tapping lightly on a door, and use that. You should also be able to "flick" contact lists with the first joint of your index finger (bend just after the base of your nail, as if a bird were perching on it).

Regarding make-up, I'd definitely think you were a candidate for a Bluetooth headset. Anything else just sounds like an exercise in frustration. :)

Hope that helps,
~ CB

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Just how thick do you wear your make up? Just a little blush or are we talking about filling the grand canyon? It seems strange to me that make up rubbing off on it would be a concern, unless one was wearing 3/4 of their body weight in make up.

On a side note, for the make up concern thing.. Maybe carry around windex wipes in your purse? thats the only thing i can think of.

And as for findernails, i think u can use a stilus, AS LONG AS it is magnetic. The magnet makes the screen think your pushing on it with your finger. (anyone can try this by using an iPod earbud to scroll around with the click wheel of an iPod..(earbuds have magnets in them..))

krissenbee

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Just how thick do you wear your make up? Just a little blush or are we talking about filling the grand canyon? It seems strange to me that make up rubbing off on it would be a concern, unless one was wearing 3/4 of their body weight in make up.

I know i have the same problem with my phone... If you wear really any amount of powder, you will get some on the screen... especially during long periods of use.

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
Shelly, I'd recommend you practice tapping with the pads of your fingers on flat surfaces, and seeing if the length of your nails is still obstrusive or uncomfortable. That's going to be your best bet. Instead of using your finger tip, you could angle your hand so that the sides of your index finger are pointing north and south of the screen instead.

Also worth noting, you can knuckle your index/trigger finger as if tapping lightly on a door, and use that. You should also be able to "flick" contact lists with the first joint of your index finger (bend just after the base of your nail, as if a bird were perching on it).

Regarding make-up, I'd definitely think you were a candidate for a Bluetooth headset. Anything else just sounds like an exercise in frustration. :)

Hope that helps,
~ CB

I plan on buying the iPhone and trying it during the return period. This will give me ample time to ensure it will work.

I use a bluetooth headset now with my MDA, but there are always those times when I have to use the device itself. I'm eager to see how Apple's bluetooth headset stands up to the others.

ShellyFM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Florida
I know i have the same problem with my phone... If you wear really any amount of powder, you will get some on the screen... especially during long periods of use.

...And in humid climates like Florida. It's nice to know I'm not alone with this issue. :) I currently use a screen protector on my MDA. So, when I wipe it off, I have peace of mind in knowing that I'm not scratching the screen. I hope to find a screen protector for the iPhone soon after purchasing it.

Troyte83

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
Long finger nails on either men or women are simply GROSS.

Longer finger nails = ideal place for growth of bacteria and germs.

Nasty.

Men and women should keep their nails short and clean.

thanks for health advice 101

Deanster

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
I'm just chiming in here in favor of women with nicely managed slightly longer nails. Very feminine, very attractive, and they feel great!

Not so attractive at the 'claw' stage, or where they prevent normal activities, but otherwise, go for it, Shelly!

No need to listen to the of never-had-a-date, cape-wearing, 'only level 32 trolls have long nails' types that have been a touch rude on the topic.

My experience working with women with nails suggests that you'll be fine with the iPhone - either using the pads of the fingers, or the sides above the nail (Is there a name for this part of the finger?), should allow you to use it well. I think the trackpad analogy is a great one - it's exactly the same type of device - if you can use a trackpad, you can use the iPhone, IMHO.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
No need to listen to the of never-had-a-date, cape-wearing, 'only level 32 trolls have long nails' types that have been a touch rude on the topic.
if anything I said was rude, i apologise, but i am being rather utilitarian on this issue and so are others here.

not like the OP has inch long fingernails, 2-4mm is perfectly fine and I still think that wouldn't have much of an issue with the iPhone, but the way with which she was worrying about it I did think they were somewhere along the lines of something double that.

for me it is downright painful to play piano with long fingernails (and by long, i mean just before the point that the tip of the nail lines up with the tip of the finger), and i can't type fast or well with flat hands on a keyboard because my nails get in the way. if i paint my nails, they chip after a few days no matter what I try to get them not to chip, and it looks ugly (all the nail art is reserved for my toenails :D ). i just can't comprehend why anyone would want to have long fingernails when they have to do things like that on a constant basis, but if it isn't annoying then...whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.