Multi-Touch Early 2008 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by podsorcerer09, Jan 2, 2009.

1. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

So i know that the "official" word from apple is that this isnt possible because it needs hardware, but just incase you all have figured something out. Would it be possible for me to enable three or four finger gestures on my black macbook, it was made in early 2008. the reason i'm wondering is that i found the .kext multitouch from one of the alu macbooks on the interenet and was wondering what the consequences would be if i replaced the one on my computer? the site i found it for was giving instructions for enabling four fingers on one of the already multi-touch macbook pros. they said to replace it and repair permissions and then reboot, what could happen if i did this to my macbook? I know that the trackpad can recognize at least three because it is posible under linux with the correct drivers, so can it work?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nothing. The Early 2008 MacBook never even had the multitouch commands of the Early 2008 MacBook Pro. You didn't have pinch-to-zoom or three-finger swipe.

The hardware is actually different in this case. It wouldn't work.

3. podsorcerer09 thread starter macrumors regular

no no what i am saying is what if i replace the file called AppleUSBMultitouch.kext that i have on my Early 2008 macbook with the one from an alu macbook, what would happen?

4. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Replacing a file wouldn't help, podsorcerer09.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nothing. The early 2008 MacBook didn't have a multitouch trackpad. It doesn't have the ability to support anything except two-finger scrolling and tapping. Not even the pinch would work.

6. priller macrumors regular

The hardware does have support for 3 finger tapping even though it doesn't work in OS X.

7. podsorcerer09 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the replys guys. i already went ahead and replaced the file and nothing happened just as a future reference for those who wanted to try this. oh well. looks like we'll be waiting a few years before getting that new macbook then

8. steverae macrumors newbie

Thanks for this - saw the info re the pro and air's and thought woohoo, i guess i'll not bother then ;)

never mind, still love my blackbook.

on a lighter note, anyone know if you can replace the touchpad pad as mine is starting to look worn and is shiny in the middle.....