Multi touch external?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by StopWhining, Aug 1, 2008.

1. StopWhining macrumors newbie

Hey, so i just got a new macbook a few months ago and have been reading about the multi touch set to appear in the new macbooks. I assume they will come out with a external device to use with old macbooks right?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They won't move to multitouch until OS XI. Everything here is just heresay.

No, they wouldn't provide backwards compatibility.

3. StopWhining thread starter macrumors newbie

Why wouldn't they provide backwards compatibility? How hard would it be to add an external multi touch sensor?

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

It just wont be like Apple to do this!

5. StopWhining thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple provides backwards compatibility for G4 and G5's Even though they have intel chipsets now, a lot of programs still work on G4's and G5's. why wouldn't they do something similar with multitouch and existing comps?

6. actorkid macrumors 6502

apple seems to be a company that sets trends and doesn't go back to older more orthodox ways (dropping floppy drive, etc.)

also, it seems like apple is very against dongles and such....just look at the iSight. You can't buy an iSight dongle anymore, now they just come built into computers...

as for this situation i would take your user name to heart and "stop whining"

enjoy the macbook you have, its an EXCELLENT machine

7. StopWhining thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i am not whining, just trying to understand the reasoning. I agree with the floppy drives, but again, you can connect external floppy drives to macs. If i remember correctly they started making machines without them before people really stopped using them anyway and a lot of people would connect external ones

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I don't think it's too much hearsay to expect Apple to get in there with it before Windows 7 does. Extension of usages of multi-touch within OS X 10.5-6, yes. OS XI could be the badger to get it ready to transition if it ever were. Tis all macrumors currently...

9. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

You say, correctly, that Apple provides an OS and software that is backwardly compatible with older Machines. Remember the "Classic Environment"? Same kinda thing. The hardware that you purchased is covered for years and years with backward-compatible software.

You assume, incorrectly, that Apple will do the same with hardware. When the iMac and the new Intel MacBook and MacBook Pro gained iSights, did Apple make sure that the iChat AV software could be run on iBooks, PowerBooks and older iMacs/PowerMacs by making the iSight more readily available?

No. Apple removed the iSight from sale because it was no longer necessary; the consumer computers who used the iChat software already had iSight built in, and if you didn't you were unlucky.

So will Apple produce a MultiTouch surface for computers that do not have the hardware built in? Nope, nope they will not.

Although all is not lost. Mainly because I seriously doubt that Apple is gonna make all of its machines MultiTouch anyway. I mean what is the point? Yes, they might produce a MultiTouch tablet, really they might, but I cannot see Apple as being the company that not only brought the mouse-operated GUI to the home as well as being the company that killed the mouse-operated GUI.

Well, thats my opinion anyway.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Knock knock.
    Who's There?
    iPhone
    iPhone who?
    Iphone to tell you that there is a possibility that the back compatible multitouch tablet is already at the 10 million mark...

11. StopWhining thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, lets all hope multitouch doesnt make all of our mouses obsolete....at least not for a few years so we can save up for new computers

12. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Okay admittedly I hadn't thought of the iPhone. That could work quite well, apart from you'd need a new sideways dock to get the ratio right for the computer screen, otherwise you'd have to hold the damn thing all the time or white-tack it to the desk to stop it moving.

Also I'm buggered if I'm shelling out for an O2 contract when my house and the surrounding area have zero network coverage. And I wouldn't consider the iPod touch cause I don't need a new iPod yet. So all in all I'd still be using my good old trackpad. And graphics tablet too. Much fun.

And I was being pedantic about the mouse :D