Multi-touch gesture problems

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Capsfan8704, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Capsfan8704 macrumors newbie

I've installed Mountain Lion and most things are working fine but I am having problems with multi-touch gestures. Moving windows with 3 fingers is working but nothing else is, launching notification center/switching between full screen apps etc., Is anyone else seeing this problem?

2. natd1993 macrumors regular

natd1993

Have you checked to see if the gestures are enabled in System Preferences?

3. Capsfan8704 thread starter macrumors newbie

They are.

Mission Control also doesn't appear to be opening, even when launching from application folder.

4. Capsfan8704 thread starter macrumors newbie

slash/ did the 'ole lets just restart to see if it fixes and it did.

5. krizko macrumors regular

Problem seems to re-occur, for me at least, every 10 minutes or so requiring constant reboots.

6. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

multi touch isn't working for me. Three finger swipe up and down not working. I can't manually bring up mission control. Seems like a software fix is in order. :(

7. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I had this problem as well. A restart fixed it, but we'll see if it happens again. Didn't realize how much I rely on gestures until they stopped working haha.

8. eefcee macrumors newbie

Yes, same problem, multitouch gestures missing

Yes, I am having the same problem. I am running on a recent iMac and just installed 10.8. Some multitouch gestures are missing. I can't do anything with four fingers, but I can move the window with three and swipe between Safari pages with two. I cannot swipe between full screen apps or get to mission control or the launchpad.

9. senbilcock macrumors newbie

I had this problem.

Before upgrade I could swipe three fingers to change full screen apps.

After update it changed the default to a 4 finger swipe.

To change it back I had to go System Pref>Trackpad>More Gestures. Then change "Swipe full screen apps" from 4 fingers to 3 fingers.

10. mmp1964 macrumors newbie

Everything was working fine last night - now this morning almost nothing works. I guess I will reboot, which is a PITA because it takes my Macbook a while to reconnect to my WiFi network.

11. Jcnovot macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem here too. It's seems to start when waking. A restart takes care of it, but it keeps recurring.

12. Jeff Chen macrumors member

Jeff Chen

Are you sure you are doing it right?

For example, opening notification center takes a bit of practicing because you must swipe left from the right edge of your touchpad. Took me a while to get used to and still won't succeed 100%. :eek:

13. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

My problem with gestures with my magic trackpad on my Mac Pro is:

Upon a fresh restart, when I do a three finger swipe left(back a page) or right(forward a page) in both Firefox and Finder, it would work fine.

However, after a certain period of time (I still haven't determined it), three finger swipe would no longer work, UNTIL, I use two fingers to scroll(even just a short 1mm drag on the magic trackpad), then the three finger swipe would work again. It would work until I switch windows (like from Firefox to Finder), and then the problem comes back, and i have to scroll with two fingers before three finger swipe activates...

This problem can be replicated without fail... kinda annoying... I dont want to have to restart my computer every half hour...

14. justadoc macrumors newbie

Agree with posters with gesture problems. Gestures is flaky upon waking. None of my 4 finger swipes and the 2 finger Notification swipe worked until reboot. Am doing it right. Changed my right lower Hot Corner to Dashboard and invoking this seems to cause a 4 finger restart that compels the 2 finger Notification swipe to work too. Buggy behaviour.

2008 MBP, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD

15. tigerx82 macrumors newbie

PRAM and SMC reset

I had this problem and read somewhere that PRAM and SMC resets help. I did both and its no longer happening for me so give that a shot.

16. eefcee, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

eefcee macrumors newbie

A problem with the Dock

A bit more sleuthing today revealed that this problem seems not to be one of gestures, but rather a problem with the Dock itself and it's ability to present Mission Control, Notification Center, or move between full screen apps.

I was able to get these features back by going to a Terminal window and typing "killall Dock" and hitting return.

The Dock (and my desktop background wallpaper) can take a long time to reappear, but usually it is pretty quick. When they do, the gestures work again as well.

17. dnmx macrumors newbie

Mbp 2008

same here.
    Installed ML on a early 2008 MBP und the only gestures which still work are the three finger horizontal swipe.
    What I miss most is the two finger/right click gesture.
    But I'll try the PRAM & SMC and keep you posted