Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capsfan8704

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
DMV
I've installed Mountain Lion and most things are working fine but I am having problems with multi-touch gestures. Moving windows with 3 fingers is working but nothing else is, launching notification center/switching between full screen apps etc., Is anyone else seeing this problem?

natd1993

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain
I've installed Mountain Lion and most things are working fine but I am having problems with multi-touch gestures. Moving windows with 3 fingers is working but nothing else is, launching notification center/switching between full screen apps etc., Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Have you checked to see if the gestures are enabled in System Preferences?

Capsfan8704

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
DMV
They are.

Mission Control also doesn't appear to be opening, even when launching from application folder.

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Problem seems to re-occur, for me at least, every 10 minutes or so requiring constant reboots.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
multi touch isn't working for me. Three finger swipe up and down not working. I can't manually bring up mission control. Seems like a software fix is in order. :(

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
I had this problem as well. A restart fixed it, but we'll see if it happens again. Didn't realize how much I rely on gestures until they stopped working haha.

eefcee

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Yes, same problem, multitouch gestures missing

Yes, I am having the same problem. I am running on a recent iMac and just installed 10.8. Some multitouch gestures are missing. I can't do anything with four fingers, but I can move the window with three and swipe between Safari pages with two. I cannot swipe between full screen apps or get to mission control or the launchpad.

senbilcock

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I had this problem.

Before upgrade I could swipe three fingers to change full screen apps.

After update it changed the default to a 4 finger swipe.

To change it back I had to go System Pref>Trackpad>More Gestures. Then change "Swipe full screen apps" from 4 fingers to 3 fingers.

mmp1964

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
I had this problem.

Before upgrade I could swipe three fingers to change full screen apps.

After update it changed the default to a 4 finger swipe.

To change it back I had to go System Pref>Trackpad>More Gestures. Then change "Swipe full screen apps" from 4 fingers to 3 fingers.

Everything was working fine last night - now this morning almost nothing works. I guess I will reboot, which is a PITA because it takes my Macbook a while to reconnect to my WiFi network.

Jcnovot

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
I'm having the same problem here too. It's seems to start when waking. A restart takes care of it, but it keeps recurring.

Jeff Chen

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Are you sure you are doing it right?

For example, opening notification center takes a bit of practicing because you must swipe left from the right edge of your touchpad. Took me a while to get used to and still won't succeed 100%. :eek:

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
My problem with gestures with my magic trackpad on my Mac Pro is:

Upon a fresh restart, when I do a three finger swipe left(back a page) or right(forward a page) in both Firefox and Finder, it would work fine.

However, after a certain period of time (I still haven't determined it), three finger swipe would no longer work, UNTIL, I use two fingers to scroll(even just a short 1mm drag on the magic trackpad), then the three finger swipe would work again. It would work until I switch windows (like from Firefox to Finder), and then the problem comes back, and i have to scroll with two fingers before three finger swipe activates...

This problem can be replicated without fail... kinda annoying... I dont want to have to restart my computer every half hour...

justadoc

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
Agree with posters with gesture problems. Gestures is flaky upon waking. None of my 4 finger swipes and the 2 finger Notification swipe worked until reboot. Am doing it right. Changed my right lower Hot Corner to Dashboard and invoking this seems to cause a 4 finger restart that compels the 2 finger Notification swipe to work too. Buggy behaviour.

2008 MBP, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD

tigerx82

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
PRAM and SMC reset

I had this problem and read somewhere that PRAM and SMC resets help. I did both and its no longer happening for me so give that a shot.

eefcee

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
A problem with the Dock

I cannot swipe between full screen apps or get to mission control or the launchpad.

A bit more sleuthing today revealed that this problem seems not to be one of gestures, but rather a problem with the Dock itself and it's ability to present Mission Control, Notification Center, or move between full screen apps.

I was able to get these features back by going to a Terminal window and typing "killall Dock" and hitting return.

The Dock (and my desktop background wallpaper) can take a long time to reappear, but usually it is pretty quick. When they do, the gestures work again as well.

Last edited:

dnmx

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Mbp 2008

same here.
Installed ML on a early 2008 MBP und the only gestures which still work are the three finger horizontal swipe.
What I miss most is the two finger/right click gesture.
But I'll try the PRAM & SMC and keep you posted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.