Multi-Touch + MultiClutch + Quicksilver = Heaven

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AJ Muni, Oct 20, 2008.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Sup yall, just wanted to share the info with my fellow apple lovers. Just in case you don't know, Multiclutch allows you to add certain gestures throughout your system if you have a multi-touch trackpad. For example if you wanted to add the three finger swapping to firefox. When you combine this with quicksilver, its even better. I thought I'd share my shortcuts to give you guys an idea.

In Firefox:
    Three fingers swiped left (Go back a page)
    Three fingers swiped down (Switch between tabs)
    Rotate Right (Refresh page)

In iChat/Adium:
    Three fingers swiped left or right switches chat tabs.

Globally (In any app):
    Three fingers swiped up (Pause/Play my iTunes song)
    Rotate Left (Quicksilver trigger to search any song in my library)
    Zoom in: Open Firefox
    Zoom out: Open my Gmail in firefox

With these controls, I barely use my keyboard for my normal activities. Sooo...post yours!

2. negatv1 macrumors 6502

Multiclutch is great. I replaced the all-in-one gestures plug-in in firefox with 3 finger swipes via multiclutch. Good stuff.

3. watergun macrumors regular

Just installed MultiClutch and have a noob question. How do you add the three finger swipe gesture? It's not in the available gesture list. Thanks.

4. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

In Multiclutch, on the left click the + sign to add Firefox as an application. Then click firefox, and on the right click the plus sign. Here is a pic on how it should look.

You can see my 4 options for firefox respectively. Refresh, switch tabs, and switching between pages left and right.

Attached Files:

5. watergun macrumors regular

Thank you. I thought there is explicitly a "Three Fingers Swipe Left" gesture LOL.

6. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I'm so surprised this has not gotten more attention. I can't believe apple would release such an awesome macbook without these functions. My MB is now complete with this app. Thanks!

7. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

How did you get the Ctrl-Tab to show up in MultiClutch? If I do that, it doesn't show the shortcut.

Edit: Nevermind, if you launch MultiClutch via Quicksilver it doesn't capture your shortcuts. How ironic :)

8. fishniw macrumors regular

this app seems pretty nice. just wondering... why would you designate swipe right as refresh instead of foward in firefox?

9. mikeyr0x macrumors member

nice
    loving 3 finger swipe down for tab switcher

10. Skystar macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of a way to globally use 4-finger swipe up or down for spaces?

11. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Same here.. I want to be able to swipe to my different spaces!!!

12. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Isn't it great!! Happy your enjoying my shortcuts!

I know my friend had installed a program on his macbook that would program a shortcut to go between spaces. I think it had it setup as command+option+right arrow key to switch between spaces. I'm going to ask him tomorrow, and this way you can do The program he uses > assign that shortcut to quicksilver> assign that quicksilver shortcut to multiclutch > :D.

BTW, the multi-clutch developer is currently working on assigning the new four finger swipe. =)

EDIT: Found out how to switch spaces by swiping. Make sure you follow the directions in order:

1) Disable any keyboard shortcuts you use for Spaces. (Go into system preferences > Exposé and Spaces pane, and remove the keyboard shortcut, if you have one)

2) Then go into MultiClutch and add (in the Global application) Swipe gestures to the key commands you want for Spaces up/down/left/right. (I picked swipe right)...and used this shortcut = option+right arrow

3) Go back into the Exposé and Spaces pane, and apply the shortcut to the "To switch between spaces" option. I picked option+arrow key, since it's what I assigned in multi-clutch. Pic added.

4) Enjoy!

Attached Files:

13. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

14. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I started using multiclutch for moving forward and backwards and refresh in Firefox...works great. Safari has this feature built in but I was missing it in FF.

15. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

All set up so it should swipe spaces.. but it will only swipe right to space 2. Not working well for me. Would be a great app if I could get it to swipe spaces reliably. :(

16. fishniw macrumors regular

can you use multiclutch to bring up the dashboard? i wanted to use swipe down but it won't let me enter fn+F12 for dashboard

17. tongteh macrumors 6502

In iChat/Adium:
    Three fingers swiped left or right switches chat tabs.

pretty sure that is already in build for adium.. :)

thanks for this tip.. :)

anyone else want to post what their gestures are? :)

18. aleni macrumors 68000

my webkit settings:

swipe left : go back
    swipe right: go forward
    swipe up: open new tab
    swipe down: browse next tab
    zoom out: close window
    zoom in: go to home
    rotate left: cursor goes to address bar
    rotate right: open download window

this rox!!

i think im gonna donate $10 to the multiclutch developer.

19. fishniw macrumors regular

can someone explain how to use multitouch to bring up quicksliver or dashboard? Everytime i try to enter the command it brings up quicksilver or dashboard instead of entering the command into the certain gesture.

20. fishniw macrumors regular

21. lildudejds macrumors newbie

Ok can somebody give me a step by step on how to use multiclutch? Say I want to assign three finger swipe down to make itunes pause. Can I do that? How do i do that. Also maybe 3 finger right or left for tab switching?

22. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Its easy, when you click the "+" button, a gesture will appear, pick the gesture you want. Then go to iTunes and find the pause button shortcut key, copy and paste.

If you are having problem such as multiclutch cannot grip the key before you press it, then go to sys pref -> keyboard and mouse -> keyboard shortcut -> disable the shortcut key that is causing the problem. Go back to multiclutch, press the key and it will catch it. Then go back to sys pref....and you get the drill...enable back the shortcut key.

23. fishniw macrumors regular

thanks a lot, worked like a charm. the multi touch trackpad alone is worth getting this new 'book. i got quicksilver set at swipe down, dashboard at swipe up. forward and tabbed browsing in firefox. incredible...

24. ebika macrumors 6502

I was having the same problem you stated earlier. It is good to know you got it working. I was so frustrated that multiclutch wouldn't use any of the shortcuts I tried to enter that I uninstalled it. I'll have to give multiclutch another chance now.

25. koopa35 macrumors 6502

can someone help with getting safari to open with a gesture and also how to use itunes play and pause globally. thanx in advance.