Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apw100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
If there were to be a "major" update with the MBP's, I think it could be likely that it would include a multitouch display(possibly rotating to allow for tablet use)

Pros for this hypothesis...
-Would allow for "iPad" functionality through emulation
-Increased ebook sales for Apple
-In line with the "pro" aspect of the MBPs if it allowed for Wacom type use.

Cons
-would add to cost
-might cannibalize iPad sales(not sure that Apple would care as long as they are making money on something. Plus, it they would make money on the increased ebook sales)

Regardless of whether it happens this refresh(probably won't), a multi-touch display for the MBPs seems inevitable in the long run. Adding tablet funtionality to the MBP's would be in line with their' "pro" label, and it would also allow for Apple to increase their revenue via eBook sales.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Multi-touch display for MBPs might be a better thread title, as the current generation has multi-touch already built in.

Also a multi-touch display is highly unlikely, as the strain to touch the screen all the time is many times greater than using a mouse or touchpad.

And having a rotating screen does not really fit Apple's design philosophy of simplicity.

And MRoogle will give you many threads about this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OSX is not designed to deal with the unique nature of the multi-touch display. Plus are you talking about a tablet computer or having the laptop have multi-touch?

If the laptop, I see little benefit to offset the increased cost and complexity. Over-all I believe it would be a poor move on apple's part.

apw100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
OSX is not designed to deal with the unique nature of the multi-touch display. Plus are you talking about a tablet computer or having the laptop have multi-touch?

If the laptop, I see little benefit to offset the increased cost and complexity. Over-all I believe it would be a poor move on apple's part.

1. Laptop MBP w/ swiveling multi-touch display.

2. It wouldn't have to operate as an interface for OSX itself, only for eBook(iPhone/Pad emulation) and other compatible applications(Photoshop, Paint, etc)

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

2. It wouldn't have to operate as an interface for OSX itself, only for eBook(iPhone/Pad emulation) and other compatible applications(Photoshop, Paint, etc)

For all intents and purposes, this isn't going tohappen. Future (years from now) maybe, but the foreseeable future, no.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Against Apple's design philosophy. It's not simple, as of yet though.
They registered a patent or two some years ago, but it was not that simple.

eBook (iPhone / iPad emulation) - that's why there is an iPhone and an iPad

Photoshop and Paint are not made for multitouch, have you looked at the size of the tips of your fingers and the size of the buttons and what-not to control those applications?

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I sure hope not. Using a laptop via a touchscreen sucks donkey balls.

apw100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Against Apple's design philosophy. It's not simple, as of yet though.
They registered a patent or two some years ago, but it was not that simple.

I wouldn't say its that complicated really.

eBook (iPhone / iPad emulation) - that's why there is an iPhone and an iPad

Amazon is doing it with its Kindle app for iPhone and other devices. Also, I meant iPhone OS(which is the same as the iPad's), not the phone functionality.
And while an iPhone/iPad OS emulator might not happen, I will be willing to bet that Apple releases its own eBook reader program based on the one on the iPad.

Photoshop and Paint are not made for multitouch, have you looked at the size of the tips of your fingers and the size of the buttons and what-not to control those applications?

That is easily solved. Just use your finger to guide the cursor on the screen(paint brush, pencil, etc). Tap a second finger to select. Something like that. It just doesn't seem like much of a problem.

Basically, I was just throwing an idea out there. It might not happen in the near future, but its coming eventually.

wandrer2

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
I should hope not! I currently have a PC laptop with tablet functionality (hp tx2000), and the screen is terrible! Part of that is due to the extra layer in front of it, which contains the touchscreen technology.

I used it with an external screen until the VGA output stopped sending the red signal out... Now I'm waiting. For Arrandale.

Oh, and regarding the claims that OS X is not suitable:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
That is easily solved. Just use your finger to guide the cursor on the screen(paint brush, pencil, etc). Tap a second finger to select. Something like that. It just doesn't seem like much of a problem.

Except that for photo editing and similar things you'd probably want to see the part that you're working on. You know, the one that your hand would block if you'd use a touchscreen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why would they need a device that has an iPad emulation when in fact they have the actual iPad emulation.

From the sounds of it, you're using some mental gymnastics to try to justify the need of of a laptop with multi-touch. I'm not seeing the need or the advantage.

husker4

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
-might cannibalize iPad sales(not sure that Apple would care as long as they are making money on something. Plus, it they would make money on the increased ebook sales)

maybe thats why the refresh is taking so long. they may be waiting until after the ipad release. this way people that want the touch interface and a mbp will have already purchased the ipad. i dont think a multi-touch would take away from ipad sales because they are targeted towards the average consumer not willing to spend big money. the only sales it would affect would be people like us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.