Multi-Touch on older MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrMinor, Dec 15, 2008.

1. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I tried to search on this, but wasn't even sure what to search on.

I thought I saw an article somewhere that said there was a way to get Multi-Touch on an older MBP. My brother just bought a used MBP (his first) and I would love to get him set up with Multi-Touch if it is possible. Does anyone know how to do this?

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'm not sure to what extent you want him to have multi-touch (heh), but the last MacBook Pros have limited function built-in. You can use two fingers to right click and to scroll or tap. I think you can twist and rotate pictures too. I can't remember anymore, someone else should know more and be able to give better details.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

As far as I know, the only gestures that are available to you on a pre-multitouch MacBook Pro are:

tap to click (enable is system preferences)
    tap two fingers to right-click (enable in system preferences)
    tap twice and slide to drag and drop (enable in system preferences)
    slide two fingers in any direction to scroll horizontally/vertically

I don't think any of the new gestures (resize, rotate, etc.) are available. You can only use the multi-finger gestures that involve both fingers remaining in the same position relative to one another.

4. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both. I thought I read somewhere that there was a way (you had to know the secret handshake first I am sure) to enable more than just those basic functions.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I really doubt it, since the computers were made before multi-touch on laptops was ever implemented. It's like expecting your iPod Photo to suddenly start playing videos with a software update when the new release comes along.

Let us know if you find a way, though. ;)

6. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is something I just found. This will probably not be the best idea for him to try. Oh well. At least I know now that I was not crazy and I really did read it :)

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

See the prerequisite of that is you have to have multitouch to begin with ;)

8. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

It is possible I just do not completely understand what multi-touch really is ;):rolleyes::)

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is yours Penryn or Montevina?

Penryn has up to three finger gestures, Montevina has up to four.

Penryn has Tap to click, tap-hold to drag, two-finger scroll, pinch to zoom, pinch to rotate, and three-finger swipe.

Before Penryn, they only had the first three.

10. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I learn something new here every day.