Multi Touch on the Old MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sho0sh, Mar 3, 2008.

1. sho0sh macrumors newbie

So the touch Pad recognizes when you put one finger on.
    It recognizes two fingers.
    You put a third on and it also recognizes that it is not 2 fingers - does it then take the third finger as one finger or does it actually recognise that it is a third finger?

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Well if you want multi touch on the old macbooks you have to dig for the driver/kext if it doesn't require new hardware. if it does then you *could* get the functionality by buying a new top case (keyboard & trackpad) for your macbook

3. cmaier macrumors G3

Apple has already said that it is not possible to add multi-touch with merely a software update.

4. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I started a thread discussing this and a competition from CruchGear to deliver this functionality to older MB/MBPs.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=444647

Basically, it's all contingent on how the new MBP is achieving multi-touch as no teardowns have shown presence of a BRCM controller so far. If this is the case, then multi-touch on the MBP is through software emulation which would imply that this functionality could be expanded to older MB/MBPs.

5. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The trackpads are new hardware.

Multi-touch capabilities will not happen for machines without the new Trackpad. Period.

6. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

The trackpads aren't new hardware, they are the same trackpads as the previous gen MBP. They possibly have a broadcom bcm5974 on the interconnect board same as the MBA however, this is yet TBC.

7. mbrydone macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that it either doesn't care that you have more than 2 or it just plain reads it as two because there aren't any functions for more than 2 on the old MacBooks

8. sho0sh thread starter macrumors newbie

well one finger moves the mouse, 2 fingers scroll and 3 fingers the cursor stays still, so it does recognise it...

9. Chafka macrumors member

I would assume then that the 3 fingers are read as a palm (ie. disables the trackpad so your mouse isn't moving when your trying to type). There must be a certain square area that is a threshold for reading a palm or not.

10. davim macrumors newbie

11. valvehead macrumors regular

I saw a post on another forum where someone was using the trackpad (on a Merom/SR MBP) as a MIDI controller under Linux. He confirmed that the trackpad was able to register 3 fingers. I can't find this post now, so take it as you may.