multi-touch trackpad.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by morethanblood, Jan 15, 2008.

1. morethanblood macrumors member

do you think the MB and MBP will be updated to include the multi-touch trackpad, or do you think there is a chance it may be exclusive to the MBA in order to give it another selling point.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I think the MBP will get it at some point. I think the MacBook is going to get few updates going forward...I think the MBA is destined to replace it entirely when its price drops adequately over the next year or so.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

And when 128GB SSD becomes reasonably priced, I think this will take two years...

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I think that the MBP will probably be recieveing a multi-touch trackpad in Feburary. Not to sure about the MB though.

I bet the next time MB is updated, a 64GB SSD with be a new option.

5. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

how does the technology work, is the mbp touchpad physically capable of providing the range of multitouch gestures available on the mba?

6. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

No. The multi-touch trackpad is not software. They will have to put a new trackpad in it.

7. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with sticking with 1.8" HDDs in the meantime? It's not like the current MacBook has SSD memory....

8. Chronocento macrumors newbie

Chronocento

I have the feeling that it will coincide with the announcement of the SDK :cool:

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Because the MB will only be replaced completely when the HD of the Air is preferable to most consumers, and the sizes of 1.8 aren't as big as 2.5s

1.8s will probably be around 300GB (big enough for most people with a notebook) when SSDs reach 128GB :)

10. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

A maxed-out MacBook currently has a 250GB HDD. There's been a 160GB 1.8" since August...anything bigger since? You really think it's going to take 2.5 years to go from 160GB to 250 or 300GB? I think they'll debut within a year, maybe even by the Fall.

11. jamikica macrumors newbie

multi-touch on older powerbooks and macbooks

A question, and sorry ahead of time if this has been answered already.

Why isn't this multi-touch just a software update?

On my powerbook it recognizes two fingers for scrolling. It does not matter if they are together or separated, so why not add the few new gestures.

John

12. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

As far as I understand, the previous trackpads on Apple laptops only have the ability to recognize up to two points of contact at a hardware level. I think it's roughly akin to nerve density...ever try having someone place one or two fingers on your skin and try to figure out which it is? In areas of your body where the nerve density is low you'll find you actually can't tell them apart. I think in addition to new software, the new trackpads have hardware changes to increase the sensing resolution and thus the ability to reliably detect gestures.

13. steve jr. macrumors 6502

I've been looking around but haven't found anything for or against this statement. Is this true?

14. Thetics macrumors regular

Actually.. youre all wrong.. well sort of. The current trackpads are capable of recognizing not 2 points, but 3.. 1 for moving the arrow around, two for two finger scrolling, and 3... does nothing.. BUT it does recognize it. so.. give it a shot. I think a software update IS possible, however I doubt we'll see it, Im sure they will keep it for the new MBP line. etc, I hope someone makes a hack :D!

15. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

When iFixit took apart a MBA they found the same chip that's in the iPhone for controlling the multitouch trackpad, making it fairly likely that a software update is either not possible or at least won't be created.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/01/ifixit-rips-apart-a-macbook-air/
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac/MacBook-Air

If 3 does nothing, how do you know it's recognized? Also, it's not enough just to be able to distinguish 2 fingers vs. 1, for instance. The resolution has to be high enough to readily distinguish gestures.