Multi Track and Alesis

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by quigleybc, Jul 7, 2007.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Hi,
    I'm hoping one of you can shed some light on multi track recording for me.

I just got an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB mixer to record my drums and also a bass player.

I was hoping that once I connected the multimix to my Mac I would be able to record each channel separately. However all the channels are being mixed together in Garageband and Ableton Live.

So, this means I won't be able to mix the Bass as a separate track from the drums, it's all mixed before it's even recorded....am I doing something wrong? Or is that just what this Multimix device does??

If so, I will need to take it back and get something else. I want to multi track record 5 mics for drums, and one bass input, what should I get that will do this and is hopefully not be insanely $$

help....did I buy the wrong thing?

:eek:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

looks like. the page you linked to said it had "stereo USB". you're not really going to be able to push 8 channels across USB, anyway.

if you've got the scratch, maybe get a metric halo kit.

3. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

thanks zimv

any other suggestions for multitrack recording? What would the dirt cheapest option be for multitrack?

What should I be looking for when reading the specs of these types of devices? so i don't get the wrong thing again.

Thanks again Zim

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you want to ensure you have the right number of simultaneous channels of a/d conversion. i think a lot of those USB/firewire mixers mix down to 2 channels of conversion. so maybe look for an interface (like this one) that isn't the mixer form factor.

(btw, i've not used the firepod, i just put it out there as an example)

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sorry Quig -- the Alesis Firewire version is the one you should have ordered. The USB models are limited to 2 channel recording, the Firewires are multichannel. Can you send it back for trade in?

6. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

yup

returning it on Monday. Oh well, it's still pretty nice, but not too useful without multirack recording.

thanks guys

:)

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I've got a MultiMix Firewire 16, and it's fantastic, I'd highly recommend it if you're thinking of getting one...

8. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

*Update*

Went with the Firepod....very excited

went to the u s and a and saved cash cuz of the exchange rate and lower tax..

Multitrack firewire maddness here I come.....:D