Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Hello.

So, I'm another one who's currently owning the original Air and planning on upgrading, and I will most likely go with the 10.5. I was orginally determined to get 12.9 for more screen to multitask, but once i saw it in a store I was turned off! First of all, its not heavy at all, people are being dramatic about the weight. But it just looked like a big box, especially without the ASK. I dont know why, but seeing it with the ASK attatched it looked smaller. I think it's the illusion of it looking like a laptop, but without it I saw it for just being a very large piece of glass. I blame it on Apple, because they put all the design details into 10.5 and deglected 12.9. The 10.5 was made to sell, it looks so attractive with the thin bezels and slightly larger screen. The large bezels on 12.9 looked like a death announcement, lol.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone with iOS 11 running on 10.5 could tell me if app such as Procreate works in split view? I tried at the store's 10.5 (iOS 10) and it kept crashing. But when I tried to split it on first gen 12.9 it worked fine. So, is procreate's ability to split even adaptable for 10.5? Im not in the art industry, but I enjoy drawing in my spare time because it's a stress reliever for me, so I'm planning on drawing on it, while watching youtube or tv shows. And if it's not, can I at least have youtube/safari open as "slide over" or whatever it's called (iphone formatted apps in the corner)? Screencaps would be much appreciated. All i see online is shots from 12.9

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Just making a pointless comment here since you seem determined to get the 10.5, but I had the same reaction when I first saw the big iPad and that feeling of "omg this thing is too big and weird looking" went away after about 20 minutes of playing with it. Had the same experience when I had a smaller iPhone and switched to a plus model. After getting used to the bigger screen now I could never go back.

Ok. Carry on guys

Reactions: gyrogyrloose

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Just making a pointless comment here since you seem determined to get the 10.5, but I had the same reaction when I first saw the big iPad and that feeling of "omg this thing is too big and weird looking" went away after about 20 minutes of playing with it. Had the same experience when I had a smaller iPhone and switched to a plus model. After getting used to the bigger screen now I could never go back.

Ok. Carry on guys
If I didn't t have a 13 inch macbook Pro (2013 model) I'd buy the larger iPad for sure. I use my iPad more because it's a smaller, faster and easier option than to open up my MBP. I think the 12.9 inch would defeat the purpose of it. I may do something unpredictable when buying it, I'm still waiting to see if it price drops a bit before ios 11 release. Funny enough, I sold my iPhone 7 Plus and got the small one because it couldnt fit in my pocket.

Reactions: Sheza

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Hello.

So, I'm another one who's currently owning the original Air and planning on upgrading, and I will most likely go with the 10.5. I was orginally determined to get 12.9 for more screen to multitask, but once i saw it in a store I was turned off! First of all, its not heavy at all, people are being dramatic about the weight. But it just looked like a big box, especially without the ASK. I dont know why, but seeing it with the ASK attatched it looked smaller. I think it's the illusion of it looking like a laptop, but without it I saw it for just being a very large piece of glass. I blame it on Apple, because they put all the design details into 10.5 and deglected 12.9. The 10.5 was made to sell, it looks so attractive with the thin bezels and slightly larger screen. The large bezels on 12.9 looked like a death announcement, lol.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone with iOS 11 running on 10.5 could tell me if app such as Procreate works in split view? I tried at the store's 10.5 (iOS 10) and it kept crashing. But when I tried to split it on first gen 12.9 it worked fine. So, is procreate's ability to split even adaptable for 10.5? Im not in the art industry, but I enjoy drawing in my spare time because it's a stress reliever for me, so I'm planning on drawing on it, while watching youtube or tv shows. And if it's not, can I at least have youtube/safari open as "slide over" or whatever it's called (iphone formatted apps in the corner)? Screencaps would be much appreciated. All i see online is shots from 12.9

Procreate, Twitterrific and BBC iPlayer. 10.5 iPad with iOS 11.

a3b2e3f1abfb0a9218b7c46dd2e9e17e.jpg

Reactions: boston04and07

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hello.

Some say "weight", others say "bezels". :p Sometimes we can't see our own hyperbole.

Relative to its size, the bezels on the 12.9 are not "large". They are a necessity to hold the tablet AS a tablet. I know it is easy to get tunnel vision and only see the 12.9 as a laptop replacement, but many of us use it as BOTH a laptop-like device AND a tablet (digital or notepad).

The only "design details" that Apple put into the 10.5 are, the screen size and the bezels. Everything else is identical to the 12.9. What other "design details" were you referring to?

If multitasking is a priority for you then I suggest waiting until iOS 11 hits the streets and you can test it out side-by-side between the 10.5 and 12.9. There may be things in iOS 11 aside from splitwindow that might make the 12.9 appealing. It's also possible that the enhancements made in iOS 11 won't be enough to justify the 12.9's larger size (and higher price).

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Thank you so much! It actually doesnt as cramped as i aspected. How's your experience with multi tasking ln it - do you enjoy it?

I had a mini 4 before this (and an air 1 before that) so I’ve not used multitasking much until recently.

I often forget it’s possible. I tend to use it when doing things casually... eg have safari and twitter open together.

I’ve also decided to learn python so I’ve been trying safari and Pythonista together and that works well with both in a 50/50 arrangement.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I had a mini 4 before this (and an air 1 before that) so I’ve not used multitasking much until recently.

I often forget it’s possible. I tend to use it when doing things casually... eg have safari and twitter open together.

I’ve also decided to learn python so I’ve been trying safari and Pythonista together and that works well with both in a 50/50 arrangement.

Haha thats hilarious cause I'm the opposite. I'm always in the need for searching the web while being on YouTube, and have to remind myself that I cannot multitask on the Air. iOS 11 gonna change my life!

By the way - is it challenging using Procreate with split view or slide over apps? Obviously one's hand will rest on the screen while drawing and touch the other app. Should I be worried?

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
If I didn't t have a 13 inch macbook Pro (2013 model) I'd buy the larger iPad for sure. I use my iPad more because it's a smaller, faster and easier option than to open up my MBP. I think the 12.9 inch would defeat the purpose of it. I may do something unpredictable when buying it, I'm still waiting to see if it price drops a bit before ios 11 release. Funny enough, I sold my iPhone 7 Plus and got the small one because it couldnt fit in my pocket.
This is my thinking as well. I will still need a Mac, because I can't peel myself away from a fully customisable, robust desktop OS yet. Thus, the iPad 10.5 will be my super portable device.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Haha thats hilarious cause I'm the opposite. I'm always in the need for searching the web while being on YouTube, and have to remind myself that I cannot multitask on the Air. iOS 11 gonna change my life!

By the way - is it challenging using Procreate with split view or slide over apps? Obviously one's hand will rest on the screen while drawing and touch the other app. Should I be worried?

The palm rejection should take care of you when drawing without problem.

I’ve bought a few graphics apps but I’ve not used them much yet. I’m terrible at anything arty.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
The palm rejection should take care of you when drawing without problem.

I’ve bought a few graphics apps but I’ve not used them much yet. I’m terrible at anything arty.

No, I mean the other app (safari, teitter, YouTube ect.) next to Procreate when multitasking, and having no other option but to rest my palm on that other app. That is what worries me :(

Last edited:

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
No, I mean the other app (safari, teitter, YouTube ect.) next to Procreate when multitasking, and having no other option but to rest my palm on that other app. That is what worries me :(

I’ve not had any issues with the rejection on the 2nd app either. iOS knows handles any stray inputs and so the secondary app doesn’t know you interacted with it.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I’ve not had any issues with the rejection on the 2nd app either. iOS knows handles any stray inputs and so the secondary app doesn’t know you interacted with it.

Nice. Interesting how both apps are scrollable at once, but still has palm rejection on a secondary app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.