MultiClutch and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by higgalls, Aug 28, 2009.

1. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

I installed Snow Leopard last night, and I found the biggest problem for me. MultiClutch does NOT work under Snow Leopard.

This is a HUGE disappointment for me as I use MultiClutch ALL the time.

Unfortunately it appears that a whole rewrite of the app is needed in order for it to work again.

Does anyone have the ability to rewrite this app? The source code is available here: http://wcrawford.org/2008/03/19/multiclutch-source/

Cheers,
    Chris

2. celticpride678

I would contact the developer and see if he is planning on doing anything. he usually responds to emails quicker.

3. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Hey,

I already have. He told me that a full rewrite was needed (and didn't mention that he was doing a rewrite).

He works for Apple now, so he hasn't been able to work on it since. So I don't think it will be possible for a new version from him.

Why Apple doesn't include something like Multiclutch is beyond me.

4. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Multiclutch is still working for me on FireFox and Adium, but it's completely dead as far as Safari goes.

5. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Thats because Firefox is 32bit, and safari is 64bit. 64bit apps don't work with Multiclutch.

Is there any way to get Safari to run in 32bit mode?

6. celticpride678

Safari was completely re-written for Snow Leopard, so no. Not as of now, but there might be a hack later on.

7. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

So is the version of Safari in Snow Leopard different to the one in Leopard (still version 4.whatever)?

8. psxtreme macrumors member

you can run safari in 32-bit mode by right-clicking and opening get-info. Check open in 32-bit mode. Not sure if this will make it work with multiclutch though.

9. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

OMG - that works beautifully.

Now the question is, what is the difference with me using 32-bit vs 64-bit Safari?

10. smersh macrumors newbie

so, multiclutch works on snow leopard with safari running in 32-bit? how about mail running in 32-bit (eg swipe left to open new message, swipe right to reply)?

if it works, I think I might actually upgrade to Snow Leopard this week!

11. sircutbreaker macrumors newbie

32 bit

Yes.. Mail works if you run it in 32 bit mode...

I have Mail set.. swipe down is new... swipe left (get mail) swipe right (send mail) swipe up (close window).. i was heartbroken when this didn't work after upgrading to sl.

then I figured it out and checked 32 bit mode.. :)

I also have ichat working in 32 bit as well.. (I like closing the chat window with a swipe up)

12. smersh macrumors newbie

thanks! great news. Multi-clutch is more important to me than 64-bit.

13. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

But what will it mean if we run these things in 32bit rather than 64? Will we loose speed (or rather not have as much speed gain)?

If you are running a system with 2GB of memory, would it matter anyway?

14. tongteh macrumors 6502

this is such a huge dissapointment for me as well.. :( i have customised my safari experiences to a point where i got sooo used to it.. and now it's all gone.. :(

guess i can only hope that the developer would continue on this wonderful plugin!

15. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I'll miss it a lot also.

Hopefully someone will rewrite it for 64bits soon.

16. sircutbreaker macrumors newbie

use firefox...

Use firefox for your browser... you can configure it up with multiclutch as you wish...

3.5.2 its sticky sometimes when you quit it... but other than that.. the browsing experience.. hooked in with multiclutch is first class.

17. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

I hate firefox now. It is SLOW in loading web pages, but it is also REALLY slow opening and then closing Firefox.

There are some things in Firefox that I do prefer over Safari, but I have now made the switch and I am happy enough with it.

18. sircutbreaker macrumors newbie

Speed

I cant say that I experience slowness with firefox.. my macbook is so fast anyway... and with sl, it just got even faster..

I have a 2.93 mbp with 4gb and a 500 7200rpm drive.

The only part that is sticky is quitting it.. (sometimes) not sure why it does that.. but I do have a bunch of plug ins... including firebug, web developer and persona.

I cant feel the difference in speed when I have mail run in 32 bit mode... This machine screams no matter what I do...

I am running windows 7 through parallels...

Now here is a question.. I also have a vm xp machine... and I can get a couple gestures working there...

but with the parallels w7 machine, when i do a swipe, right or left... it opens the start menu.
    I really wish I could get the ctrl t and ctrl w worklng with the gestures... that would be amazing.

Anyone?

19. sircutbreaker macrumors newbie

Safari

Safari works with multiclutch if you click run in 32 bit mode....

The difference in speed between the 2 modes is nothing to write home about...

Its totally worth dropping the couple of nanoseconds you might save to have it work with multiclutch.

20. jlevi macrumors member

Agreed and done.

Still, someone needs to modify this code for 64bit so we can get the most out of leopard

21. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

How can I run programs in 32bit mode ? EDIT: I got it :)

22. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I definitely noticed Safari opened way slower after I launched it in 32-bit mode. Oh well, after opening it, I can't tell a difference. :)

23. colerc macrumors newbie

Setting Safari to run in 32-bit mode fixes Multiclutch, but then it seems that Gmail will not load when Safari is running in 32-bit mode, at least for me (works fine in 64-bit mode). Any ideas for what is wrong here and if it can be fixed while maintaining Multiclutch?

24. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Gmail is working for me fine in 32bits.

25. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

What's with MultiClutch anyway? You can enable/disable multi touch gestures in System Preferences. I remember you couldn't do that in Leopard. So why do we need this now?