Multiclutch: impressions and tips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tlebon, Jun 14, 2008.

1. tlebon macrumors newbie

Ok I have been waiting to get a MBP for about 2 months now and I finally got one. One of the first apps I made sure to get was Multiclutch. This is easily the sickest app on the MBP.
    In case anyone doesnt know, multiclutch extends the multitouch feature on the trackpads on new MBPs and MBA. Extends is really too small a word though, because before, the gestures dont do a damn thing. Any way, a little tinkering around with multiclutch and I think I pretty much have the lay of the land.
    First thing is first- global applications: these are your bread and butter in multiclutch. set up some good ones that will help u with anything. some that are good are:
    swipe down -cmd-H -hides current window
    zoom out -cmd-Q -quits current application
    and I like Rotate left -cmd-W - closes current window- ill get more into that one in a minute.

these should get u started and used to multiclutch and most importantly global gestures will affect programs that wouldnt usually be affected by multiclutch such as carbon apps (itunes and finder especially).
    IMPORTANT: if you try to put gestures in itunes or any other carbon app remember to reset the shortcut for the global apps and the app will be able to use some gestures again

next most important application for gestures: firefox- or your browser of choice. These ones work great and really streamline the browsing experience. im still toying with these a little but the ones i have now are:
    rotate right -cmd-T- new tab
    rotate left -cmd-W -this and the global app with the same function for the same gesture really work great together. in firefox cmd-W will close ur current tab and in global it will close ur current window- really intuitive and helpful
    zoom in -cmd-shift-T -opens ur most recently closed tab-good for when u accidentally rotate left
    swipe right- cmd ] - forward
    swipe left -cmd [ -back -saves a lot of time

obviously these firefox ones are not completely ideal because it would be nice to switch tabs when u want to as well, but the other gestures dont really work for switch tab, and the goal is really to make the gestures something simple and obvious. that said i am tinkering with moving back to swipe up and then just having left right be for switching -so far its not really working because the combo for previous tab is set to the same button combo as the little app switcher thingie. anyway clearly more work needs to be put in, but i just got my MBP a few days ago, so im constantly trying out new gestures for different actions. If anyone has any gestures they think are good please share them, or if anyone thinks they know some better ones than the ones i point out.Thanks.

2. Fusion macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up on this, I hadn't heard of it before. I'm really liking swiping up or down to move between tabs in Safari.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yep. I installed multicluth and loving it. Before, going back and forth was the reason that kept me from using Firefox even though it felt Firefox was snappier than Safari. :p

So swipe left and right brought to Firefox really helps me.
    I like your idea of rotating right for new tabs. I'm gonna steal it :p

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Used multiclutch for a few days; didn't like it; I like the easy keyboard shortcuts; that say if I use another Mac I don't have to go for the touchpad/mouse; I can just use keyboard shortcuts.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

im feeling thick, and cannot see how to edit the inputs, i added firefox, but when i go to add a command, i just get swipe left, and cant work out how to edit it :S

6. jheidenr macrumors newbie

So if you are using Multiclutch to swipe left and swipe right set for a specific application (e.g. browse forward/backward in Firefox), you won't be able to use those gestures globally for something like switching between Spaces, right?

So far I am loving the Multiclutch, but it would be really great to also be able to Cmd + "swipe left/right".

7. stormbob macrumors newbie

I've been using it for some time as well. Here is my keys:

Firefox:
    Swipe left = cmd+left = Back
    Swipe right = cmd+right = Forward
    Swipe down = cmd+w = close tab
    Swipe up = cmd+t = new tab
    Zoom in = cmd+r = reload

Linkinus (irc)
    Swipe down = cmd+up+w = close window

Adium
    Swipe left = cmd+left = left tab
    Swipe right = cmd+right = right tab
    Swipe down = cmd+w = close tab

8. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

yea this program is awesome. the only reason i am able to use firefox 3.

9. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

This program is slick. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi
    I'm just playing around with this but it's not working. I set up cmd+left/right for Firefox (swipe left/right) but it's not working.

I have the new MBP (Oct 2008).

Thx,
    Tex

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Hmm. I just set mine up on my new MBP with no problems. This most likely is an obvious question, but did you restart Firefox?

12. valvehead macrumors regular

try cmd+[ and cmd+]

13. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I tried cmd+[ and cmd+] and it also doesnt work. I did restart firefox. Actually when I swipe left or right (3 fingers) I see the "cmd tab" menu (application switch)

Tex

14. Eautography macrumors newbie

Here something different that I've been using

- Rotate Left/Right = cmd+` (switch between tab or page)
    - Zoom in + Zoom out = expose

15. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Well now the multiclutch gestures work but the "built in" gestures like expose dont work anymore :(

any ideas how to make both work ?

Tex

16. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

oufff I got it :)

I mapped F11 to swipe down (show desktop) and F9 to swipe up : expose

17. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I think that this is one of the best programs around. Also, the dev now works for Apple, so I don't expect any Multiclutch updates, but I do expect to see this functionality built into the OS soon.

Now just gotta figure out a way to have basic multitouch on an older macbook. Whenever I use it, I find myself attempting to do the gestures I do on my Pro.

18. TXBDan macrumors regular

Have you guys noticed any instability while using this? I had it installed and my computer got real flakey and even totally crashed once. I wasn't sure what was causing it but it did coincide w/ the multiclutch install. I uninstalled it and things have been fine since.

also, fwiw, the Minefield (firefox/mozilla) build 3.1b2 supports all the gesture stuff. pinch zoom, swipe forward/back, rotate motion to flip through tabs. works great.

19. Skyldig macrumors regular

This is truly a great app.

Anyone know a way to start programs with the trackpad? I have my zoom-out set to cmd+W and I'd really like to have my zoom-in to automaticly start my browser.

Thanks for any answer. Just got my new MBP yesterday btw. Absolutely fantastic machine. (I'm used to Mac, but i never went pro before)

EDIT: Nevermind. I fixed it myself ;)

EDIT EDIT: No i didn't. I can open it with a zoom-in if I just closed it with a cmd+W. But when i use a different app (or just click on the desktop) it doesn't work :( Anyone?

20. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

this app is AMAZING. i might give firefox a try now,even though i LOVE Safari.

21. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Multicluch comes out only with the new MB and MBPs?

22. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

So ... Snow Leopard will sport more Cocoa than Leopard does right now.
    I've read reports of a Cocoa Finder etc ...

So Multiclutch will gain functionality when Snow Leopard is released, right?

(the carbon restriction is the only thing I don't like about multiclutch)

23. Sevan-Geneva macrumors newbie

Multiclutch works with my Finder

I don't understand, maybe I have a special Finder, but Multiclutch works on my unibody MBP...

I didn't try with the Global gestures since I don't want to use it at all. I just added Finder.app and programmed some gestures. They all work except the Swipe gestures (left/right are already taken and up/down just doesn't work).

24. fishniw macrumors regular

for some reason my computer is not allowing me to change the commands. I click on the gesture I want (such as swipe down) but then I click command + something and it will not apply it. Can anyone help me?

25. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

lets say you wanna program firefox.. make sure firefox is quitted. Also, go to the multitouch pane from system pref NOT through a spotlight search. Sounnds weird but i noticed the same thing.

I have become almost obsessed with this program. I am afraid that after i use these, some software update will disable the use of them, and i will be going insane!