Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
How much of a chance is there that Apple will start using multicore GPU's in thier macbooks and macbook pros? i know the technology is relatively new for now, but its VERY powerful - and will do the same thing for graphics that a multi core processor did for computing (vs. a single core) - the performance increase will be simply awesome - and i would LOVE to see it happen. i believe (rumors are) that Nvidia will be releasing a Multicore GPU early 2009. and i'm guessing that by late 2009 they willl be in the MBP's... and HOPEFULLY by mid or late 2010 they will be in all the macbooks...[if apple wants to keep up w/ competition from other notebooks]:mad: what are the possiblities? :apple:

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well whether Apple moves to nVidia systemboard chipsets or stays with Intel, multi-core GPUs will become an option within a few years, so it is likely Apple will adopt it down the road.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well Snow Leopard includes Open CL which would mean faster computers without additional processors; might encourage GPU makers to make multicore GPUs more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.