Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryhian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Orlando, FL
Can anyone give me some detailed information about this game? Im looking to purchase a multiplayer texas holdem game and trying to narrow down to which I would like more.

This game seems to have a lot of great features and simple graphics to keep things going smoothly.

- Can you play the multiplayer via 3g/edge or only on wifi?
- How is the lag and delays in the game?
- How do you pick which table/types of blinds you want to play?
- Those with experience playing a lot of games how do the players seem? Do they just throw money around a lot because its fake money?
- When you lose all your chips do you have to start over at a lesser table until you get a certain chip count or how does it work?

Also any other pro's cons which makes this a worthwhile purchase at $10?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Can anyone give me some detailed information about this game? Im looking to purchase a multiplayer texas holdem game and trying to narrow down to which I would like more.

This game seems to have a lot of great features and simple graphics to keep things going smoothly.

- Can you play the multiplayer via 3g/edge or only on wifi?
- How is the lag and delays in the game?
- How do you pick which table/types of blinds you want to play?
- Those with experience playing a lot of games how do the players seem? Do they just throw money around a lot because its fake money?
- When you lose all your chips do you have to start over at a lesser table until you get a certain chip count or how does it work?

Also any other pro's cons which makes this a worthwhile purchase at $10?

1) yes, you can play multiplayer via 3g/edge/wifi

2) if your signal is good, the connection is good overall, though sometimes i get booted off a table without explanation, and it seems to have gotten worse with the new update

3) you have multiple options, ring games (fake "cash" games), sitngo (single table tourneys, and tournaments (multi table tournaments). To play any of the above, you use your play "cash" to buy in at the appropriate levels. for example, rings games range from the standard 1/2, 5/10, and higher. the stt and mtt tournies have varying levels of buyins as well.

4) yeah, people will call all ins on a draw or chase down the 2 outer or less to the river. it's to be expected since there's no real money involved.

5) not sure what happens if you lose all your chips since it hasn't happened to me :)

Now, here are my thoughts on the game:

I love the fact that you can play others via the internet through the cell signal and not only through wifi. and it's not limited to only playing against other iphone owners but other mobile phone types for which real dice has created the same program for. the last time i played, someone was on a blackberry and someone else was on a different phone. in fact real dice has a facebook app that i believe hooks into their general network so it might be possible to play against someone who might be playing via the facebook app.

the different play options, i.e. ring games, sitngos, tournies, is awesome and should provide what anyone is looking for.

the ui is very simple. nothing fancy like the apple texas holdem game. poker doesn't have to be simple, and i actually prefer the simplicity of this game when playing against others online.

Gripes/Issues:

This is a huge deal. Real Dice f'ed up with the certain aspects of the game. the biggest one is when heads up in the ring game (might also affect sitngos and tournies but i haven't tried those yet), the standard sequence of play is that the button (dealer) is also the small blind and is first to act pre-flop and last to act post-flop. this is simply the accepted rule in poker. However, real dice has this backwards. in the game, when heads up, the button is the big blind and acts last pre-flop and last post-flop. As we all know, position is critical in poker and by ***** up the sequence of play pre-flop, it could throw a wrench in someone's game. and i shudder to think of all the people new to texas holdem who might think that the button is last to act pre-flop when heads up because real dice has implemented this incorrectly.

I did write real dice support about this, and they have confirmed to me that they do indeed have this wrong pre-flop and assured me that they would fix it in the next update. well the update was released last night and it still has not been fixed. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED. After more thought on this subject, i don't believe they will ever fix it because keep in mind that they have versions of this program for all the other mobile phone platforms, i.e. pocket pc, blackberry, etc. that have probably been around for a couple of years and if you are playing against them from your iphone then it goes without saying that the incorrect sequence of pre-flop play is incorrect for them as well. and this has not been corrected in the past years. So i don't think it ever will, in which case i feel like they lied to me. to fix it, they would need to fix it across all of the other platforms.

another issue i run across, is sometimes the program automatically calls the bb in an unraised pot pre-flop, for example, i'm in middle position, and before i click anything, i automatically call the big blind and i'm in the hand. this happens once in a while but is retarded and should be fixed.

Overall, the program has issues that the developer should have addressed years ago. the fact that they haven't leads me to believe they might not, but i'm hoping i'm wrong and they fix it. since the last update and the fact that the pre-flop heads up play bug hasn't been fixed, i will be posting a review on the app store very shortly repeating what i just explained above. Hopefully once this is made public in the app store reviews, they will be more willing to fix the problem.

Back to your question of whether this is worth the $10 bucks? For the simple fact that you can play against others online from your phone, then yes. if you are a texas hold'em lover like me, then yes, but keep in the above issues when playing and adjust accordingly.

Ryhian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Orlando, FL
Thanks so much for all that information. That pretty much sums up everything I needed to know. I dont expect all games to be bug free, but that heads up bug is a pretty crucial part of poker.

One other question I had was when you win chips from ring games/tournies do they always add to your total and stay with you? Say you win 4000 chips from winning a tourney does it add to your total amount and next time you log in you will begin playing with that many chips?

For the tournaments do you have to have a certain chip amount to enter them and everyone starts off with a certain amount?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Thanks so much for all that information. That pretty much sums up everything I needed to know. I dont expect all games to be bug free, but that heads up bug is a pretty crucial part of poker.

One other question I had was when you win chips from ring games/tournies do they always add to your total and stay with you? Say you win 4000 chips from winning a tourney does it add to your total amount and next time you log in you will begin playing with that many chips?

For the tournaments do you have to have a certain chip amount to enter them and everyone starts off with a certain amount?

i haven't played any tournies or sitngos but yeah i assume whatever you win goes into your total aggregate count as it does when you play ring games. another gripe that I have is that for the ring games, you can't specify how much you want to buy in for. the program automatically buys you in for 40 chips at the 1/2 game. you can't control this, and is retarded. especially when you're only playing with 20 bbs in a ring game. At least up it to 100 bbs (200 chips). but to begin playing short stacked like that immediately is stupid and obviously short stack poker involves a different strategy then deep stack poker (i.e. more push/fold type play).

Dman2009

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
This game is junk

I'm always getting kicked off tables. I can never get logged onto server. (I've been trying to get logged into sever for the past 2 weeks. Still no luck with that). The betting sequence is ass backwards. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Dman, i'm with you. since my initial feedback, the dev has failed to fix the issues with betting sequence in heads up play (despite multiple updates, though i think the betting sequence problem is a server issue and not client app issue), and i also notice the sequence gets f'ed up in more than 2 people pre-flop as well and more often than not automatically puts me into an unraised pot pre-flop even though i'm not the BB. the problems are so bad and so prevalent, i've since removed it from my phone and don't play it anymore. what a collosal waste of $10. they are knowingly seeing a product that DOES NOT follow conventional rules of poker as it pertains to betting sequence.

Dman2009

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
This Software SUCKS!

Do not waste your time or money on this software. It really sucks! You will not be a satisfied customer. There is no Tech Support, You will not get a refund, The games on this software run like
s hit! These
mother
f uckers
(RealDice.com)
are scam artist's. You've Been Warned!

Dman2009

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
Your software is crap!

There is serious server lag when playing poker. I want my money back! Are you ever gonna reply to my tech support tickets I sent in thru realdice.com/support 2 months ago? Like I said above, your software is crap. People beware of RealDice.com they will scam you out of your hard earn money. You All Been Warned again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.