Multiple accounts on iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reflow, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Here is my situation. My wife and daughter both have Nano’s and use the main PC on iTunes. Is there anyway to keep there song separate from another. That’s the way its setup now is that when one of them plug in there iPod they get all the song on the list. Well needless to say they both listen to different artist.

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Create separate playlists for each of them and set the iPod to sync only selected playlists for a given iPod.

This is how I manage my iPod vs. my wife's, and is generally more efficient than having two completely separate libraries.

B

3. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

balamw,

Thanks for your reply. I will try when I get home

Thanks

4. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

HOLD THE OPTION KEY WHEN YOU CLICK ITUNES IN THE DOCK! it will ask you to create a new library or select a existing one

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

How about this situation?

Not quite the same as the original poster, but I have a slightly different scenario.

My wife and I both have Mac laptops (my iBook, her Macbook). We currently share one iTS account, but in the future, we might want to have separate iTS accounts. This won't be a problem on our individual laptops, but if we do get a Mac mini that is connected in the living room, we'd like to put both our iTS music on it.

Can you have two iTS accounts authorized on a single Mac?

ft

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes.

I had a Mac mini setup on the living room TV that was authorized to play three peoples stuff (me + my two roommates). Worked fine!

That's since been replaced by an Apple TV, which doesn't use any authorizations to play stuff.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, another hypothetical. Let's say that our future mini has both my and my wife's account authorised. If I wanted to buy a song or movie on the mini, who's account would it link to?

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

It would link to whichever account was signed into the iTunes Store at the time of the purchase.

In the iTunes Store, if you look at the top right corner, it should show you whose account that is.

You can change that account anytime by clicking on iTunes | Store | Sign Out...

On the "shared" Mac mini at my place, nobody was every signed into the iTS, even though that Mini was authorized to play purchases made by myself or my two roommates.