Multiple Airport Extremes and Printing Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AdGuy15, Mar 13, 2008.

1. AdGuy15 macrumors newbie

OK, I have 2 Mac computers and I just bought the New Airport Extreme 802.11n. I already have an Airport Extreme that is about 2 years old. I have the new Airport connected directly to my DSL modem. It's in a central location to both computers. I have the printer connected to my older Airport. The older Airport is not plugged into the DSL at all, only to an electrical outlet. In order to print to the printer wirelessly, does the printer have to plugged into the Airport that is plugged directly to the DSL modem? Shouldn't the 2 Airports be able to wirelessly communicate with each other? I tried to go through the printer setup but it isn't recognizing that there is a printer connected to the network. Does it have something to do with WDS? If so, where do I find it and troubleshoot it. Do I even need the older Airport at all? I apologize for all the questions but this has me a bit confused. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I will simplify this madness for you.
    Connect one Airport to the DSL (this is the primary airport).
    Setup the other airport for a WDS bridge (this and any other airports/routers are secondary).
    Google WDS airport, there are plenty of guides out there.
    Connect your printer to whichever Airport/router you want to cause its all part of the same network.

3. AdGuy15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Slack

Why is it that the Airport Utility is not seeing the older Airport.?

Do I need to plug it in directly to the DSL modem, set it up, then put it back in its old location where it's just plugged into the electrical outlet and the printer?

There is a light at the end of the tunnel...hopefully, it's not a train.

Thanks again!

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Might have to plug your Mac right into the old airport. Also you might have to reset the older airport, hold down the reset button until the light starts blinking (around 5 seconds).