Multiple Airports setup question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iNewbie, Jun 3, 2015.

1. iNewbie macrumors regular

I have an older airport Extreme and 2 newer Time Capsules. Each of these is wired into an Ethernet Cable. I'm trying to get the best coverage I can and I don't think I'm doing it correctly.

Each can do 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and I believe the Time Capsules can also do 802.11ac.

Anyway - I have each currently set to "Create a wireless network" currently.

Historically I've named the 2.4 network "myNetwork" and the 5Ghz network be "myNetwork 5GHz". That doesn't seem right to me as on my device I have to sometimes manually choose one or the other to get the best signal.

So I figured I'd go through them and I renamed the wireless network "newNetwork" in all the 2.4 fields as well as the 5Ghz field. I figure that's the way it's supposed to be and let the device figure out the best connect.

But when I do that and go back into the 5Ghz section the checkmark goes away indicating it's in use. When I try to click it again it doesn't stick.

Is this the right way to do it? Am i missing anything?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. If you want the AirPorts to automatically decide whether to use 2.4 or 5 GHz then you simply leave the "5 GHz Network Name" box unchecked.

3. iNewbie thread starter macrumors regular

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem! Also, you should have one AirPort as the main base station with the other two behind it.

5. iNewbie thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm.. I'm not sure how I have that hooked up. It the two new time capsules connect to the older airport airport Extreme... or if they all go into the switch. I have a professional 24 port super router/switch appliance that's the brains of everything. I just use the apple equipment for the wireless and some time capsules.

Does the method of connection matter?

Thanks!

6. eduardrw macrumors 6502

If you want to use your
    You can continue to use your "24 port super router/switch" as the Router and use the various Airports to create a roaming network with identical SSID's as you are doing. This works just fine.

There is one upside with using one of the Apple Routers as your main router -> You get all the Apple specific features (Back to my Mac, Bonjour server - transparently waking up MAC's for media access from Apple TV and other devices, etc)
    In your case I assume your "super router/switch" gives you specific features you want/need.

7. iNewbie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Yeah the router is some big Fortigate. It lets me control and route my 5 public ip addresses where they need to go. I don't believe that's possible on the Apple equipment.

Ok. Great. Sounds like just syncing up all the names will be a big improvement. Awesome!

Thanks!