Multiple Apple Devices and WI-FI issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FlatBot, Jun 4, 2014.

1. FlatBot macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina (running Mavericks) and an iPhone 5 (running iOS 7).

When I'm at work there are multiple wi-fi connections available.

I need my Mac to connect to a different wi-fi connection than my phone. This is for reasons I assure you make sense, and I can get into that if needed.

It seems that there is some kind of "behind the scenes" syncing of wi-fi access point information between my mac and iPhone. This would be totally sweet under normal circumstances but is a hindrance for me since I need the devices to connect to different AP's.

Let's say my Mac needs to connect to AP A and my phone needs to connect to AP B.

My phone often tries to connect to AP A, which it is not allowed. So, I tell my phone to Forget about AP A. Then when I go to my Mac, my mac has also forgotten about AP A and I need to re-enter the WI-FI password on my Mac, which in-turn causes my phone to remember about AP A and it will try to connect to it again later.

So. . . anything I can do about this?

Ideally I would like to dictate priorities for my phone so it will always try to connect to the correct AP. Alternatively, I would be OK with breaking this synchronization ability between devices but this is less than desirable since sometimes this feature would come in handy.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is due to iCloud Keychain cross-syncing wireless passwords across. I am not aware of a preference pane which allows you specify what passwords copy to which device. If you turn iCloud Keychain off then it won't copy any longer. Kind of seems to negate the purpose though!

3. wuush macrumors member

I dont have an iPhone but you can change which wifi Network your mac should prefer. Just put your Preferred AP higher on the List in the wifi settings menu than lets say AP B