Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbh0514

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I hope everyone is enjoying iOS5 and its new features!

I have a question I hope can be answered dealing with Apple ID's

My brother and I have been using my Dad's Apple ID along with my Dad so we can share paid apps. (I buy an app and we can all download it for free). This was never a problem before. However, with iCloud I would like my OWN Apple ID so only MY music, pictures, etc. will be synced to my iCloud.

I guess my question is can you have an Apple ID for purchases, and an Apple ID for iCloud. If not, if I create a new Apple ID can I use apps and music purchased with the previous Apple ID?

Thanks for helping me solve this problem!

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yes, you can use one Apple ID for all iCloud syncing purposes and another account only for iTunes store purchases and iTunes in the Cloud.

rbh0514

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. How would you go about doing this? Just create a separate Apple ID and use that ID to sign into iCloud/iMessege, everything but the store?

Thanks for the help!

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. How would you go about doing this? Just create a separate Apple ID and use that ID to sign into iCloud/iMessege, everything but the store?

Thanks for the help!

If you currently only have one Apple ID and that's the ID that is used for iTunes music/app purchases, then when you sign up for iCloud, you can create a new Apple ID. When you set up iCloud on your mac or iDevices, and it asks for your Apple ID, you can give it the new @me iCloud email address. Just after it's all set up, go into iTunes and the App store and verify that it is set to still use your original iTunes store account.

Everything else, email, iCloud syncing, will use your new iCloud Apple ID....

BiOsLaSh

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Spanish Fork, UT
Just make sure...

I tried this with my wife's phone and despite setting up a new iCloud account for her it still grabbed mine and started syncing her contacts into mine. Took me about one and a half hours to clean her stuff out. I had to go to the bottom of the iCloud setup on the iPhone and delete the existing account (mine, which, again, is the same login we both use for Apps/Music) and then I was able to add in her iCloud account info.

Side note his is why I hope all those people clamoring to have Apple combine Apple IDs and iCould are not listened to because I don't want to buy apps twice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.