Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playmakerx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Does anybody have multiple Apple IDs like me? I have one for syncing documents and pictures via iCloud, and another one for purchasing apps. These IDs were created while I was in different countries.
After upgrading to macOS 10.15, there's a warning on the system preferences panel saying "some account services require you to sign in again". When I click "continue", nothing really appears for me to key in anything. I took a look and found there're two accounts listed, one for iCloud and one for media. Thinking this might be the problem, I signed out the iCloud account and logged back in. And now there's no option for me to log in with the other account for media.
Does anyone have this problem? Could this be a temporary glitch with this version?

David Abrams

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
Yes, I had the same issue where I ended up locked out like yourself. I then created a bootable installer for Catalina and tried a clean install; the assumption that it would allow me to sign into both accounts, but I was wrong.

At this point I believe the only way you can sign into both accounts-- one for media and one for iCloud is to upgrade from Mojave and ignore the error.

Has anyone else figured it out?

tamaralig

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2014
I had the same problem on 10.14 all through the beta. A few months ago I was testing something, I had 2FA on for my iCloud account but not for the one I use for iTunes/Apps. I created another user account on my Mac, signed into iCloud/App Store/iTunes, with the iTunes/App Apple ID and turned on 2FA. I did not sign into that new user account with my iCloud Apple ID at all. I logged off that account, then signed back into my regular user account. Went to iTunes/Books/App Store and signed in with that iTunes/App Apple ID and it's been solved since with no issues. When I first installed Catalina, I noticed my iCloud Drive loading but Music was blank. I went to System Preferences > Apple ID and clicked on the one showing for Media and made sure it was completely signed in. From what you're describing, you may need to open each program that's using your iTunes Apple ID and sign out manually there. Then restart and go back into System Preferences and sign in with your iCloud Apple ID and then secondly sign in with your iTunes Apple ID inside iTunes/Books/App Store. Hope that helps, long winded but it was my only fixed that proved to get me out a nasty loop

Reactions: CommanderData

David Abrams

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
I had the same problem on 10.14 all through the beta. A few months ago I was testing something, I had 2FA on for my iCloud account but not for the one I use for iTunes/Apps. I created another user account on my Mac, signed into iCloud/App Store/iTunes, with the iTunes/App Apple ID and turned on 2FA. I did not sign into that new user account with my iCloud Apple ID at all. I logged off that account, then signed back into my regular user account. Went to iTunes/Books/App Store and signed in with that iTunes/App Apple ID and it's been solved since with no issues. When I first installed Catalina, I noticed my iCloud Drive loading but Music was blank. I went to System Preferences > Apple ID and clicked on the one showing for Media and made sure it was completely signed in. From what you're describing, you may need to open each program that's using your iTunes Apple ID and sign out manually there. Then restart and go back into System Preferences and sign in with your iCloud Apple ID and then secondly sign in with your iTunes Apple ID inside iTunes/Books/App Store. Hope that helps, long winded but it was my only fixed that proved to get me out a nasty loop

This helped significantly, thank you!

Reactions: tamaralig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.