Multiple audio and video stream software recorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jessestack, Dec 1, 2009.

1. jessestack macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have a particular project where I have to create around 150 different DVD's from 150 different musical performances over 2 weeks with multiple audio streams.

Has anyone got any suggestions on software that will allow me to record at least one stream of video and 2 stereo streams of audio? Ideally all as separate files that I can the just drop in to DVDSP and burn.

If it was only 1 stereo stream of audio Quicktime would suffice but it's not.

TIA

Cheers
    Jesse

2. jessestack thread starter macrumors newbie

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

FCP will record multiple audio channels, the kona card on my work system supports 16channels. Though it will be digitised in 1 file. FCP will separate the audio and video files on digitise , but i not sure if all the audio will be in 1 file.

you may have to export the audio channels separately from your time line.

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Do you want to just duplicate the DVDs?

What do you mean by multiple audio streams? Do you mean separate track for each instrument and vocals?

150 DVDs sounds like a lot of work no matter how you look at it.

5. jessestack thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    thanks for the replies, sorry I've been way to busy with work to check back in. I won't need this functionality again until next years concerts anyway.

evil_santa
    I'll have to look in to FCP. I have it but hadn't realised that it could capture more than a stereo audio source. thanks, and even bigger thanks if it works :)

rjphoto
    I have a video feed of a live concert and I'm mixing down the audio live to two different stereo mixes. both of these stereo audio tracks have to end up on the DVD. and yes it's for a 150 different performances over 4 days.

This year one of the stereo mixes was captured with the video as an mpeg 2 file in quicktime pro. The other stereo mix was just recorded. I then had to manually align these in DVDSP to author the DVD with both stereo tracks.

I'm just trying to cut down then amount of work as at the moment there's not enough money in it for the hours spent in post.

Thanks again
    Jesse

6. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Wow! I feel for you man. I know the pain. Mine was multiple performances of the Nutcracker. Each show featured a different dance school with the main dancers. We only had 3 shows a day for a week, though.

Wow! 150 performances. How long is each one?

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It sounds to me more like an audio project then a video one.

I would look into something like Logic Pro or express. They have video capabilities, but are more focused around the audio. If you're doing live concert DVDs the sound is going to be more important then the video.

8. jessestack thread starter macrumors newbie

Each concert is 20-30 minutes long

Logic, DP, Protools would be fine if they recorded video but they don't.

We use Protools to do the live mix and this is is then recorded with the video but it's all about getting a 2nd stereo track recorded in sync.

I still haven't had a chance to see if FCP will cover it for me.

9. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Jesse,

What kind of mixing board are you using? How does it input into your computer?

I'm wondering about firewire from the board to the computer.
    http://www.phonic.com/en/audio-interface/helix-board-18-firewire-mkii.html

All of that stuff is over my head...
    Like I said earlier, I work with video. Most of my productions are usually interviews... 1 or 2 mics at the most at record time.

10. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

The issue to me doesn't seem to be software so much as hardware. You're not going to get more than a stereo stream in without some sort of outboard gear. What sort of audio interface are you using?

11. jessestack thread starter macrumors newbie

Hardware I'm sorted, it's most likely a software thing I'm missing, still haven't had time to get to my studio and try the FCP avenue.

I have plenty of hardware at my disposal. We usually do these mixes with ProTools TDM (192) or Metric Halo (ULN8) interfaces using one computer. These two methods both allow us to do a full mix in the digital realm of all the channels, including mastering. We actually output the 2 separate stereo mixes via AES/EBU to another firewire interface (another ULN8) which is connected to a 2nd computer. This computer is also taking the video feed via a canopus advc110.
    what we have being doing is sending one stereo track to the canopus to be recorded with the video and then recording the 2nd stereo track separately then lining up the 2nd audio track in DVDSP.
    What I'm looking for is software that can take the video from the canopus advc110 and the audio from another interface and record both stereo tracks and the video track at the same time so that they're all aligned. (same start/end points)
    I understand that maybe the sync between the audio and video devices might be an issue. So maybe something like the MOTU V4HD would be needed to keep it all in sync?