Multiple avi to put on a dvd. New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Krispy162, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Krispy162 macrumors regular

Krispy162

I'm new to mac so please keep that in mind.

I have a season of a tv show on my computer. I want to be able to put them on multiple dvds but i can't fit more than one of a dvd. Two of them goes over the limit. Is there a software to use to convert them down and be able to fit maybe 4 on a dvd?

Please any kind of help would do. I have the newest mac mini

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Hmm, other than getting bigger discs, I can't think of a way you could do it.

3. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

Now i just saw that my dvd player plays Divx format. Is there any way other than buying dual layer dvd's to fit more episodes on it?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

iDVD converts to MPEG-2 for the videos to be burned. It's an annoying format because it's a much larger file than anything playable on a computer.

What is the filesize (on your computer) of each episode?

5. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And you're saying it only lets you put ONE on. That doesn't seem right at all. What are your export settings?

7. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Dude! If your "dvd player" can playback "xvid/divx" format's, eg .avi dont make a REAL DVD using idvd etc...when you use iDVD it will always convert what ever the original videoformat is to a MPEG2 which is 10x more bigger than your small avi files.

If your .avi files are divx or xvid, and you think your player can playback them as is (mpeg4), just burn a normal DATA disk and put then in the disk as is! ;)

Create "burn folder" ...Read about it if you dont already know what it is. Second click on your desktop and create "burn folder", then you drag your files you want to burn there and so on...easy as pie!

You can fit 23 episodes if one file is under 200MB. One single-layer DVD is 4700MB!

Notice, that then your DVD is a DATA disk, not an actual real DVD-Video disk aka (mpeg2)...

8. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

What i wanted to use was idvd b/c you can create the menu screen and ect. I can only put one on there and it goes more than half way.

When i use toast 6 im getting this error message that says you cannot use both NTSC and PAL formats. How do i fix that?

9. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Yes, you must realise that when you use idvd or any other dvd-video authorize program you are creating a REAL VIDEO DVD which contains always mpeg2 video format. This has a way larger bitrate than your original .avi files, so it will take that much space! Either have a nice "dvd menu" and less video in duration, or make the normal data-dvd if your dvdplayer can playback xvid or divx .avi files :rolleyes:

10. johto macrumors 6502

johto

You fix it by not having both format video files on the same disk. dvd-video disk is either PAL or NTSC, not both! You need to let toast to convert (re-encode) to another format. Or, you encode your files all to a same format before hand. This will definedly make a bad quality. Imho its stupid to try make dvd video disks from .avi files.

11. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

I did put them on a disc since my dvd player reads Divx BUT the quality is terribleeee

12. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Blame the original video files.

13. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

Yeah i figured that much. Mac doesn't have the equiv. of Dvd shrink?