Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
I have 2 x 7300gt and 1 x 3870 and all 3 have problems displaying video, either distorted or nothing at all.

There is no visable damage to any of the cards - is there any way to fix them or a company that fixes them or even someone on these forums that can? It seems a waste when the 7300s go for a fair bit on ebay for such an old card.

Should I just bite the bullet and throw them away?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm suspicious you have so many cards that are broken. That's a big coincidence. Perhaps something else is wrong such as the computer itself. Have you tried the cards in another computer?

If the problem really is the cards, the type of repair you are talking about is component level repair. Diagnostics usually take a few hours and thus will exceed the value of these cards. You can always take a look for yourself for anything obvious such as a blown capacitor and replace it with a similarly rated part, but odds are not good for this.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Have a close look at the 7300s.

They have a known issue where the two large 1500/6.3V (IIRC) capacitors immediately to the left of the heatsink bulge and kill the card.

The parts are literally like $1 each and the card can be fixed better than new.

If the capacitors aren't bulging then the fix will be more involved.

We buy dead Apple OEM 7300s for $25/each FWIW.

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
have a close look at the 7300s.

They have a known issue where the two large 1500/6.3v (iirc) capacitors immediately to the left of the heatsink bulge and kill the card.

The parts are literally like $1 each and the card can be fixed better than new.

If the capacitors aren't bulging then the fix will be more involved.

We buy dead apple oem 7300s for $25/each fwiw.

spam

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback. I acquired one 7300 with my current machine, another from parts and the 3870 from eBay. I doubt my pro is the cause as I have been running Windows on a 4850 for the last few months with no issues.
MacVidCards - I spoke to you through PM about buying a card from you but money is tight at the moment. looking at these cards I can see some bulging capacitors on one but not the other. Any tips on where to buy replacement caps?
If this works, would you have any ideas with the 3870?

thanks very much all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.