Multiple copies of my Library Mac OS X 10.4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by estan9514, Dec 23, 2010.

1. estan9514 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have multiple copies of my Library.

One on my hard drive that is one in my home folder.

And then I guess I have made multiple copies of it in trying to back up my computer. But they are all a bit different.

Does any one have suggestions for how I figure out the one that the computer is using, so I can delete the others?

Thanks

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Don't go off removing stuff if you don't know what it is for. There is supposed to be a Library directory at root and one in your home directory.

3. estan9514 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yes, I 'm not going to delete anything.

That's why i was inquiring to see if there is a way to find out which is the current or up to date Library - and if there is a way to determine which one the computer is operating off of.

Thanks.

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

There's also one in /System. The OS operates off all three. If it doesn't find what it needs in your home directory's Library, it then moves to /Library, and then to /System/Library.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

As a general rule, if you are not familiar with the inner workings of OSx (or any *NIX system), you only need to pay attention to something that is enclosed in your home directory. It is incredibly easy to go down in the system directories and screw things up. The Library is managed by the OS, don't worry about it.