Multiple DashboardClients?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pants Dragon, May 23, 2008.

1. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

My computer started to slow down, and I noticed on my iStat Pro that my emory usage was very high, and I actually had a lot Page Outs (I have 4GB RAM, and have never seen Page Outs since I installed the RAM), though not nearly as many as the Page Ins. I checked my Activity Monitor and noticed it was DashboardClient eating up the memory, so I force quit it, so now my memory issue is resolved.

However, I now notice that I have THREE processes named DashboardClient. The most confusing part is 2 are Intel processes, and one is PowerPC.:confused: Anybody know how to fix this?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

How did you get a PPC app on an Intel machine ?

3. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

I have four DashboardClients

I always thought they were linked to the number of widgets on your Dashboard. I have four "non-Apple" widgets running: iStat Pro, Sing That iTune, ToDo, and possibly ESPN football. In addition, I have the Weather widget as well as the Dictionary widget

I also have 4gb of RAM and often see page outs on my Macbook after a while. It's not that big of a deal to me. I never shut off my Macbook but usually when the page outs start getting large, I'll do a quick restart

4. Pants Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I want to know.

5. phobox macrumors member

The way OSX manages memory is a point of some confusion for me, I havent quite yet figured out its logic. I have 2gb of ram and I often see page-outs even when theres not much ram being used by apps... though this is usually after large disk accesses such as when running extractors on huge archives, so its likely the cache.

Anyway as for running PPC apps on Intel, thats simple its called Rosetta :) Its a rather clever little emulation layer that allows the seemless execution of PPC apps on Intel hardware. For example I have Photoshop CS2 which is a PPC-only app and it runs great on my Intel Mac.

6. Pants Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

I know exactly what Rosetta is. But why is there a PowerPC version of a system process when the OS is completely Intel-native? Not to mention the fact that there's also (2) Intel versions running.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

PearLyrics? I know that right before he was forced to stop making this widget, this app/Widget was compiled only for PPC.

8. Pants Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, you totally nailed it. I do use PearLyrics. Nicely done!