Multiple display users on one Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tfward, Mar 22, 2009.

1. tfward macrumors member

Alright so this is what I want to do and I need to know if its possible before I waste some money. I have the 2.8 Octo with 2 24" monitors and 16 gb ram and an 8800gt. Me and my future wife both like to play WoW. I know you can open multiple instances of WoW with separate accounts, but what I need to know is can I set up my dual monitor setup to act as if it is two separate computers with 2 keyboards and 2 mice so we can play together without having to purchase a whole second computer? I'm willing to buy another GFX card if I have to along with the second mouse and keyboard since that would still be cheaper then buying another computer. Thanks in advance.

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I'm leaning toward no... the dual input devices being the culprit

then again, I'd love to be proven wrong;)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're essentially asking if the Mac Pro can have two display users at the same time, on two separate screens with their own keyboards and mice, logged into their own accounts? At least in the normal / workstation version of OS X, that's not readily feasible. I think it might possibly be done in OS X server, although I'm not completely sure about that (I'm pretty sure it can host multiple display users at the same time, but not so sure about them being physically on the same hardware).

It's not exactly the advice you're looking for, but getting another less expensive computer, like a desktop Dell or something, would probably be much more expedient.

P.S. I moved your thread to the Mac Pro forum, per your comment -- please don't crosspost. I'll go ahead and give it an informative thread title, also -- that in general significantly increases the chance you'll get help.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

A new mini should be able to run WoW very well.

5. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

There is a bootable cd linux that allows you to have 2 users use 1 computer at once, granted you need 2 screens but then you both could use the computer at the same time.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is true... you would need to run the game in Linux, though, then wouldn't you?