Multiple displays also on iOS?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by KFredje, Oct 18, 2013.

1. KFredje macrumors member

Hello,

With the release of the new OS X there was an announcement of better support for multiple displays. Is it possible to hook up an iPad onto your mac and use that as a 2nd display or only your mac and displays?

2. cbs20 macrumors member

No iOS device can be used as a display for a Mac.

3. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

4. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

ohn :( guess I don't get a new iPad then :(

are there any other very good alternatives (free) ?

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

This isn't quite true. It's not as easy as plugging the device in to your computer and it's a bit kludgy, but it can be done.

I've seen a few guides touting different programs, but the basic idea is the same: get a VNC client for your iPad or iPhone (these can be had for free). Then get a program like ScreenRecycler (not free), which allows you to take control of a monitor on a networked computer running VNC or, in this case, your iPad/iPhone.

That sort of solution is decent if your systems are on a wired network together, but the iOS devices can only connect to networks wirelessly. It works, but the refresh rate is a bit sluggish. If you just want to put information up on a screen and don't require much animation or interaction, it's a decent solution.

6. sexiewasd macrumors regular

7. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

+1 this is what I've used in the past, super easy to set up. The touch screen works too :-D

8. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

Is it easy to set up? And how many times do they release a new version they charge money for?