Multiple Displays on Retina iMac...?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rob.G, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I can't remember if I asked this before... if I did it's been a couple of years.

The iMac has twin Thunderbolt ports, right? So it can run a total of three 27" displays -- its own plus two external ones.

BUT... is it possible to run one 27" Thunderbolt display on one of the ports, and then with an adapter cable, a second non-Apple display, like my Dell 23" (1920x1080)?

Basically, I'm tired of being stuck with only two displays on my Mac Mini (a 27" TBD and the Dell). It's down waiting on new memory, so I've been using my late-2013 rMBP 13... it has the 27" TBD and Dell connected to it and I get its own display too. It's awesome. Downside is I can feel the lag from its dual-core i5 compared to my Mini's quad-core i7. So it's time to sell the Mini and upgrade.

So... if I can drive the Dell off of the iMac, then that'll be my next machine. If not, then I'll be looking at a 15" rMPB.

Thanks!

Rob

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In a word yes. that will depend on the inputs on the Dell but an adapter should sort out any issues.