Multiple Displays, Summoning Dock

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pittpens85, Oct 24, 2013.

1. pittpens85 macrumors newbie

Is anyone else having problems getting the dock to "follow them" when using multiple displays? It is next near to impossible to get it to appear when I want it to... Suggestions? Other than that Mavericks is a good upgrade.

2. vbrad26 macrumors member

In for reply as I am having this issue and posted about it as well.
    For me my problem is when I access the dock on the secondary display it pops up fine. But when I go back to my main display and try to access the dock it will not pop up.
    I have to keep mousing down over and over until it finally pops up.
    QUITE annoying.

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I have this issue, it's quite annoying. Doesn't seem to register that my cursor is at the bottom of the screen trying to summon the dock.

4. leventozler macrumors 6502

Moving the pointer to the bottom is not enough, you have to move your mouse a little more to summon it..

5. TiggerGTO macrumors newbie

I have a different problem. My desk at work makes it nice to set my MacBook on the desk so that its display is directly under my external monitor. The dock is usually on the bottom of the MacBook display. I accidentally summoned it to the external (upper) display. Once the dock moved, it was impossible to move the mouse pointer to the lower display since the dock stops the pointer from passing through to the lower display. I finally fixed it by going into the Arrangement tab on System Preferences -> Display. I'm not sure what I would have done if preferences had been opened on the lower display. Any idea how to get past this problem if it should happen again? It seems like a bug to me that the dock won't let the pointer get to a display that is arranged below it.

6. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I think this will be addressed in a later update since many people are experiencing it and one of the most publicised updates in Mavericks.

7. snarfquest macrumors regular

My dock keeps auto-hiding on my MBP and I have hiding turned off.

I've tried turning it on then off again. No dice.

I have 2 monitors (for a total of 3) on my MacBook Pro.
    1- laptop
    2- TB/Display port
    3- Diamond USB to DVI

8. KRivers macrumors member

KRivers

This bug has been around for some time in mavericks dp. Best way I found to get around it is this. Move you mouse down to the dock and LMB click brief and it will pop up.alternatively you can hit the mission control button twice whilst the mouse is over the dock area

9. pittpens85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to hear I am not the only one!! Thanks everyone for your comments! I have to agree with the above poster I think this "problem" as well as people who have different monitor configurations and dock positions will be addressed in an update. I hope comes sooner rather than later.

10. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

i don't think this is as much a bug as it is just poor anticipation of the usage. the way that multiple displays works now is that the "primary" display changes based on where you are working, it isn't permanently set anymore. the menu bar exists on each display separately and changes with the active display and window, but the dock stays where you put it. so if you want it to switch displays, you need to switch it manually each time. you can do so the same way as you would view the dock in a full screen app, by moving your pointer to the bottom and then swiping down more as if you're trying to go even further off the edge of the screen.

personally, i think i'd prefer to have a dock on each display, as i only ever use my mac with side by side displays, but it would get complicated for vertically stacked displays. probably would best be solved my adding some user options to dock behavior to allow for various display arrangements.